Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Last night when I was driving on the freeway my pyro gauge started climbing and would not go back down. When it got to 1100 I tuned down to #2 and it went up even faster. I pulled off the freeway and in a parking lot. Left the engine running and popped the hoos. Gauge waid something like 1800+ at that time. I messed with the lead from the thermocouple, got vack in the truck, shut it down. A few moments later I started it up and all was normal again. The turbo spools great, actually better then prior as I replaced a cracked CAC boot yesterday.
All was goo until later last night when I was driving home it did it again EGTs go up ans just keep going. Actually on the way home I could keep them around 1000 deg.
Do you all think it could be my thermocouple went bad or the gauge? Truck seems fine during these events, I can put my hand on the turbo and CAC tubes, they are not hot. I cannot imagine my pipes are getting that hot. I will be under there this morning to figure it out.
I have an Autometer pyro.
Thanks.
Mike

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I would say a loose ground or a bad probe...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Auto meter pyro went bad and would read cold one day and hot the next at cruise speed going 70 mph.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.
autometer pyros have had this problem. a lot of times there is a ground issue, but often with those gauges it is not the case. i am about to be on my third autometer pyro - if they didn't replace them for free, i would've switched by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts