Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Last night when I was driving on the freeway my pyro gauge started climbing and would not go back down. When it got to 1100 I tuned down to #2 and it went up even faster. I pulled off the freeway and in a parking lot. Left the engine running and popped the hoos. Gauge waid something like 1800+ at that time. I messed with the lead from the thermocouple, got vack in the truck, shut it down. A few moments later I started it up and all was normal again. The turbo spools great, actually better then prior as I replaced a cracked CAC boot yesterday.
All was goo until later last night when I was driving home it did it again EGTs go up ans just keep going. Actually on the way home I could keep them around 1000 deg.
Do you all think it could be my thermocouple went bad or the gauge? Truck seems fine during these events, I can put my hand on the turbo and CAC tubes, they are not hot. I cannot imagine my pipes are getting that hot. I will be under there this morning to figure it out.
I have an Autometer pyro.
Thanks.
Mike

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I would say a loose ground or a bad probe...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe, I thought you were Andrew at first. Nice avitar.

Going to pull the probe and clean it off, check the wiring again in case it is hitting something.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Auto meter pyro went bad and would read cold one day and hot the next at cruise speed going 70 mph.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.
autometer pyros have had this problem. a lot of times there is a ground issue, but often with those gauges it is not the case. i am about to be on my third autometer pyro - if they didn't replace them for free, i would've switched by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts