Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be involved to put a 5r110 in my 2000 250. Would it even be worth it?

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
it is possible, expensive but possible. there is an adapter available and PCS has a controller for it. I thought about doing it since I have seen a bunch of people pushing major power through them and driving them I like the 5speed but keeping the 4r100 was more cost effective.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
You can adapt anything even an allison, but a built 4r100 will hold more power then you need or at least then I can afford or even think about.

Ie...... north of 800 hp and I stop looking, dream yes. But a 4k bts tranny will do it.

If you were going to do that i'd go with a 6.4 tranny anyway. Good budget 4r100 build is a better tc and a vb.

·
Registered
101 Posts
BTS, like said above. You will have way more than $4k trying to get a 5R110 in there, since you will need a $850 transmission controller plus a $750 adapter bracket and $650 flexplate, then the cost of the transmission and torque converter plus all all the time wiring up the controller.

When I did my Cummins conversion, I could have put any transmission I wanted, 5R110, Allison, yet I went with the 4R100 from BTS for a reason.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Anything can be done, but i think you would be going backwards with a 5r110. Like mentioned above you will have a bunch of money wrapped up in the parts needed to make the swap and you will still have a stock transmission. altho the 5r110 in stock form is able to handle a bit more hp than a stock 4r100, you will have to deal with the tuning issues. a 5r110 has clutch synchronization, instead of one way sprags like ae 4r100. This gives the potential of binding or flaring, both which can be detrimental to the transmissions lifespan. Getting a 5r110 dialed in with the factory tcm can be tricky enough, let alone with a new standalone controller. Not saying the tuning with the PCS cant be done, as weve done it in a few cummins conversions, but the 4r100 is much better suited imo.

So to summarize, youll save $ in the long run and have a stronger setup if you just go with a BTS 4r100.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A JW or BTS 4r100 is way better and less expensive. The install process and controller will get you close to the cost of a JW or BTS and a lot less stress & headache. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
116 Posts
BTS 4r100 gets my vote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts