Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up my 1st oil change since getting the truck. It has been running great as far as I can tell. The oil filter I pulled out definitely did not look like the Motorcraft filter I installed. Other than my oil being REALLY black, I didn't see any issues.

I'm guessing it was a fram filter, but I couldn't find any identifying markings on it.

Is there any precaution I should take to ensure no damage was done?

Like I said, the truck has been running great, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. This is my first diesel, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as what's "good" and what's "bad".

Thanks in advance.

Derrick

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
I just finished up my 1st oil change since getting the truck. It has been running great as far as I can tell. The oil filter I pulled out definitely did not look like the Motorcraft filter I installed. Other than my oil being REALLY black, I didn't see any issues.

I'm guessing it was a fram filter, but I couldn't find any identifying markings on it.

Is there any precaution I should take to ensure no damage was done?

Like I said, the truck has been running great, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. This is my first diesel, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as what's "good" and what's "bad".

Thanks in advance.

Derrick

other then the size of the filter...i dont see a problem. i use motorcraft oil and filter and am rolling good!

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Now if you bought it new id worry a little.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So you're saying the new filter wasn't the same as the one you pulled out of the truck? I guess that's not really a huge deal as long as it hadn't failed or bypassing dirty oil...

FYI I pulled a Fram filter out of the box at Walmart and the Motorcraft filter and they are identical, even the same patent numbers stamped on the end caps.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're saying the new filter wasn't the same as the one you pulled out of the truck? I guess that's not really a huge deal as long as it hadn't failed or bypassing dirty oil...

FYI I pulled a Fram filter out of the box at Walmart and the Motorcraft filter and they are identical, even the same patent numbers stamped on the end caps.

Yeah, I am not sure what brand the filter was that I pulled off. I tried to look for a brand or part number but couldn't find anything.

Well, I know there's a motorcraft filter in there now, so as long as it didn't harm anything I should be fine...

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
I run Napa filters in all my diesels and have never had a problem. I really dont think there are a whole lot of "bad" oil filters out there. But ulitimately if you go too cheap i think your playing with fire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I run Napa filters in all my diesels and have never had a problem. I really dont think there are a whole lot of "bad" oil filters out there. But ulitimately if you go too cheap i think your playing with fire.
i guess you've never seen a 5.4 3v with damaged cam phazers and oil starved cams due to oil filter break down, causing filter media to plug the oil galleries.

Wrong oil filters will cause oil to bypass, and can cause low oil pressure. 6.4's have a switch, so unless you actually put a guage on it and compare you will never know. Just easier to stick with a factory part for me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i guess you've never seen a 5.4 3v with damaged cam phazers and oil starved cams due to oil filter break down, causing filter media to plug the oil galleries.

Wrong oil filters will cause oil to bypass, and can cause low oil pressure. 6.4's have a switch, so unless you actually put a guage on it and compare you will never know. Just easier to stick with a factory part for me.
And it's been said A LOT that a fair number of the aftermarket filters are dimensionally wrong for the 6.4. It was just my comparison of the Fram at Walmart with the Motorcraft filter that confirmed they were the same. Apparently they use the same supplier (Racor?)

·
fowlerobsession
3 Posts
i did the same thing with the fram filters and the motorcraft they have the same everything numbers, color, material, just like blk04snake said. :ford:

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
And it's been said A LOT that a fair number of the aftermarket filters are dimensionally wrong for the 6.4. It was just my comparison of the Fram at Walmart with the Motorcraft filter that confirmed they were the same. Apparently they use the same supplier (Racor?)
Dang learn something new everyday. Luckily im changing oil this week so ill pick up a motorcraft. I wish I could still run schaffers but i had to switch to Rotella.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
motorcraft is cheap with 10 mic rating.and its a ford product:ford:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts