Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Yeah, I suppose a glow plug could do it. Don't see it bending anything though, but maybe. I've been using ether for years. Never had any problems from it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My grandpa had a bad back would sit in the drive seat with the hood up and window down and crank the motor while pumping the gas pedal and spraying the either in the air filter. seen it a few times when it would fire it would rev to 4k almost instantly. Its how he put a hole in the block on the 5.9 cummins we had in our water truck.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
My grandpa had a bad back would sit in the drive seat with the hood up and window down and crank the motor while pumping the gas pedal and spraying the either in the air filter. seen it a few times when it would fire it would rev to 4k almost instantly. Its how he put a hole in the block on the 5.9 cummins we had in our water truck.
Wow, he must of had a long arm

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No but the can has a long spray! lol I don't agree with it I'm just telling you what I experienced.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
When installing rockers/pushrods, the service manual has you put the engine in the "11 o'clock position (line on harmonic balancer lined up with pointer on CPS bracket). Putting the motor in the 11 o'clock position is to avoid lifter jacking (the lifter pumps up with residual oil pressure when the rocker/pushrod is removed). If the pushrod and rocker are installed with a pumped up lifter, you can get engine damage when the engine is turned over. In the 11 o'clock position, an oil drain path is provided so the lifters don't pump up. It may not be a problem if the engine has not been operated for a while, but it only takes a second to put it there and not take a chance. Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When installing rockers/pushrods, the service manual has you put the engine in the "11 o'clock position (line on harmonic balancer lined up with pointer on CPS bracket). Putting the motor in the 11 o'clock position is to avoid lifter jacking (the lifter pumps up with residual oil pressure when the rocker/pushrod is removed). If the pushrod and rocker are installed with a pumped up lifter, you can get engine damage when the engine is turned over. In the 11 o'clock position, an oil drain path is provided so the lifters don't pump up. It may not be a problem if the engine has not been operated for a while, but it only takes a second to put it there and not take a chance. Cheers!
what kind of damage?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Well, if a lifter was "jacked" (pumped up) when a pushrod was installed, the valve could be pushed open farther than it should be. There's not that much clearance anyway. Valve hitting piston usually leads to damage (been there done that with broken timing belts on interference Honda engines … bent valves and damaged pistons). Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
and I was not able to bleed the lifers down. I checked that and checked to make sure I had the push rods seated correctly.
I have encountered this. Look closely at your rocker arms. If the engine was ever started with ether, more than a few times, and ether locked or hard rev, you likely bent the rocker at the fulcrum. If they all look good, in measurement and comparison with others, you likely have a lifter that is going bad. You will need to drain the engine oil through a mesh screen with a large magnet in it, looking for debris from the roller bearing in the lifter. Also pass a stick magnet into the pan looking for any metallic debris. Please let me know the results. you will also want to go to harbor freight, Northern Tool, or NAPA and get yourself a diesel engine compression tester.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Actually that's legit. Over revving can bend stuff in the valve train, definitely. It's called valve float.

But if someone sprayed so much ether that the thing fires up and revs, especially to the point of floating valves, then the last thing they should do is work on their own truck. That just seems obvious.

I've never had one rev after firing on ether. Not a single time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I can promise you he isn't working on any more trucks, seeing how's be been deceased since 2014. But regardless, I took everything back apart and inspected everything. Even used an endoscope camera to look at the Pistons and lifters (all looked great). Below is a video of everything running. Put the valve covers back on and the truck started running like #### again. Couldn't even get to 60mph. Took the covers back off and it runs great. It's like the gaskets short when I torque the valve covers down.

https://youtu.be/zFLGdOBuw5A

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That's a terrifying thought, have you grabbed the pins in the gasket with some little vice grips or something, and seen if they pull out?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Well I can promise you he isn't working on any more trucks, seeing how's be been deceased since 2014. But regardless, I took everything back apart and inspected everything. Even used an endoscope camera to look at the Pistons and lifters (all looked great). Below is a video of everything running. Put the valve covers back on and the truck started running like #### again. Couldn't even get to 60mph. Took the covers back off and it runs great. It's like the gaskets short when I torque the valve covers down.

https://youtu.be/zFLGdOBuw5A
I am sorry, I was not talking about your grandpa. I had forgotten you said that a day or so before.

That was rude of me and I apologise. I'm sure he was a perfectly capable guy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No disrespect taken. After he broke his back his mind was willing but his body didn't allow him to do much. But he just refused to stop. Died at 75 in a quad accident. He was a bad ass!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That's a terrifying thought, have you grabbed the pins in the gasket with some little vice grips or something, and seen if they pull out?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

The pins seem tight. The injectors ohmed out to 2.8 ohms. I wonder if the high power is arcing once the cover is torqued. I'm not sure. Gonna bite the bullet and get a set from the dealer. One a side note totally thought I blew my motor today. Took it up the street to test it and I hit the throttle. The truck started to move and build boost then it backfired real bad and started just pouring black smoke and wouldn't rev past 1k. Pulled over and popped the hood. It had collapsed the turbo boot and clogged the air intake. Freaked me out bad!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts