Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I just did my head gaskets and the engine has a miss and white smoke. AE is showing #4 contribution fault P0272. I swapped 2-4 injectors no change. I did a continuity check on the FICM harness all for pins on #4 connector have continuity. FICM checks out.

I had DW crank the engine while inspecting #4 push rods and one is not moving! I have heard of push rods bending but I have not hear of them just not moving. Why is it not moving? Is it becuase it is bent? I don't hear any obnoxious rattling or noises. I moved the locator dowel to 6 oclock before installing the push rods and rocker assembly and torquing. I even rotatated it like 2 revloutions. I must have not noticed it...argh...

Do I just need to pull the push rod and re-seat it? How to pull it, there is a head stud holding the rocker assembly. Is there a spring compressor to release the tension or do you just remove the stud head?

Do I need to check for other damage? I hope I have not totally screwed this thing.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
just remove the stud. wen installing pushrods you need to put on a heavy oil such as STP engine treatment on the bottom end, push it into lifter and lift up to feel drag.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i did the same thing 2 weeks ago. double check the rocker while in there everything else should be fine. you probly didnt have it sitting on the lifter properly. i have parts sitting around if you need just a single push rod or anything just let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks Guys!
I think I can finally finish this thing. It's been 2 weeks trouble shooting this.

I'm going to head over to the dealership to pick up another push rod in case this one is bent. I think they are like $5 there. At least I'm not looking at replacing an injector, harness or ficm...none which are cheap.

I will put it back together tonight and report back. At least I only have to retorque one stud this time. Doing all 20 was a royal b1tch.

thanks again.:bowfast:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its running again, that seems to have done it. The power balance looks good. I am however getting alot of blue smoke at idle. I am assuming this will go away when I drive it for awhile or should I be concerned about it before I put everything back together again.

Thanks
Bryan

Attachments

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
:eek: Wow man! Ive seen some bent pushrods but nothing like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i bent one like that during the torque sequence because i must not have had it seated properly but i couldn't even turn it over manually let alone start it. still don't really understand the whole dowel notch at 6 O'clock thing. figuring it's the dowel hole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts