Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 f 350 power stroke 5 spd need to know the wire colors for the ignition switch and their functions... just want to brake the connection when the key is twisted to the start position and install a start button to take over that connection... need to know what color wire triggers the start relay and what color wire is it primer to ignite that wire when the key is twisted... plan is to pull these wires out of the block so they will not function any more and send them through my push button start... if anyone can pick out any problems in this set up let me know... curious will I have to mess with the clutch pedal cut off switch as I want this to still function as it should... thanks guys ... lots of mods planned for this old girl...

·
Resident Idiot
661 Posts
I am not really sure why you would want to do this, but to each their own I guess. Anyway the power to the ignition switch is the yellow wire. The wire you will have to tie into is a red/light blue wire. I wouldn't pull the yellow wire out of the ignition switch as it feeds everything else that is powered when the switch is turned to the on position. YOu would still have to use you existing ignition switch and just use the push button to send voltage to the starter when you want it to crank. Make sure you buy a momentary switch and not a maintain otherwise the starter wont disengage until you pull out the switch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just for the look ... no other reason ... lots of guys say the same thing as you have why ? I say why not ! I get what you are saying about the yellow wire it looks like that coupler works like a slide not just two halves that plug into each other... looks like when the key is twisted to the optional positions it slides the coupler into different configurations within itself... different but it works... no way to pull the yellow wire out without rendering the other connections inside the coupler without 12 v ... what do you know about circuit that turns on the wait to start warning lamp... is it a positive or negative trigger... the button I have has a light in it thinking it would be pretty neat to have it light up when the wait to start warning lamp went out and then after the motor was running go out again ... could accomplish this with the oil pressure switch signal to kill the light but would need to reference how to have it come on after the wait to start warning lamp went out... let me know... also their is a small three pin connection block on the underside side of the coulomb that is not connected to anything ... do you know what this is ... don't have the wire colors now but can surely get them for you ... thanks my friend...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just thought I would post what I fount for anyone who wants to add in a start button with a negative trigger to aluminate the button... remove the switch block under the column pull the module apart and remove the red/ lt blue wire from the block this is your start trigger... one side of your button ... I found many choices for 12v signal to the switch in my case I used one that was hot with the ignition switch in the run position... the negative signal wire from the button to light it up will go to junction s215 from fuse 17 this is your wts indicator lights its hot when the key is on and grounds through black/pink wire # 16 pcm # terminal 80... with this set up the button lights as the wts functions and goes out at the same time ...thus your button mimics the wts function... I think it is quite bad ass... now when you twist the key nothing happens... with this no way to pre start before the glow plugs do their thing...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks my friend... I have gained some pretty good information so far and it's just been a few days... wish I had more time to blitz more posts... some are so intriguing... better than reading a book I say...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts