Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2004 f350 with the 6.0l turbo diesel I have heard a lot of good things and bad things about this engine. The truck currently has 227,000 on it. It's not bulletproofed completely stock. Is there anything I should do to it? I'm new to the 6.0 engines. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
Bulletproof it. ARP headstuds and egr delete. New ford oil cooler. Re-seal injectors and everything else that you take apart

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
also, it would likely benefit you to know whether this is an early or late build motor. there's subtle differences, but they are important when there's a problem! easierst way to tell is if the ICP sensor is onthe passenger side valve cover towards the front of motor, that's a late build. if its down in the valley under the turbo then its an early build

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
oh, and figure out the type & age of ALL of the existing fluids you have installed. and then proceed to change the old ones and replace teh incorrect ones with quality fluid. one of the most common "fluids" mistakes on the 6.0 is using the universal green or ford gold coolant in a 6.0. it really needs a quality ELC with an EC-1 rating in the cooling system

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
& i'll add in these because i didn't read them in the above posts: updated standpipes/dummy plugs if needed, and blue spring upgrade FPR.

do you have any service records for the truck? would be nice to know for sure if anything has been done to it. if you know the dealership that it was serviced at, they will send you the records that they have for the VIN. i've done that before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can do all that stuff right away. However, if its running good why would you? Save that stuff for later down the road when it needs it unless you like spending money. Many of these trucks have gone more miles than that on stock hardware.

I would flush the coolant if it has the Ford Gold in it and replace it with a CAT ELC equivalent. I believe between the dirty blocks, Ford Gold coolant without flushes, and poor EGR coolers are what gave the 6.0 such a bad name. Check your temps for oil and coolant to see what the deltas are. If the deltas are more than 15 at 60mph on flat ground you need to back flush the oil cooler and possibly replace it. No need for a BPD oil cooler, the Ford cooler works just fine and is about $2000 cheaper. If you replace the oil cooler get rid of the EGR cooler at that time or replace it with the BPD cooler. Replace the injectors only if needed. With over 220k miles they have probably been done.

·
Native Californian
413 Posts
My first question would be "how does it run"? I wouldn't address all of the "stuff" until it starts to show it needs it, which it will eventually. If it has been unmolested though, it may be just fine and give you 50k more trouble free miles. Just have the $$ set aside and plan on it, but see how long you can drive it the way it is and address issues as they appear. If you're just frothing to turn a wrench, then do it all at once. Any pics?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first question would be "how does it run"? I wouldn't address all of the "stuff" until it starts to show it needs it, which it will eventually. If it has been unmolested though, it may be just fine and give you 50k more trouble free miles. Just have the $$ set aside and plan on it, but see how long you can drive it the way it is and address issues as they appear. If you're just frothing to turn a wrench, then do it all at once. Any pics?

I only paid 1600 for it so I don't know if I want to dump a lot of money into it. It also needs some body work. I'm just not sure if it's worth putting all the money into it or not. I will post some pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts