Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from a trip pullin 13,000lb trailer up some 6, 7 and some short 8% grades and was floorin holdin 40-45mph. MY question is how does a stock tranny hold up to that if i put a valve body with a chip? i do this run about once a month. in 320 miles i went through a tank and a half. a little more then half the trip is mountains. Thanks

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
I just got home from a trip pullin 13,000lb trailer up some 6, 7 and some short 8% grades and was floorin holdin 40-45mph. MY question is how does a stock tranny hold up to that if i put a valve body with a chip? i do this run about once a month. in 320 miles i went through a tank and a half. a little more then half the trip is mountains. Thanks
you get more holding PSI with much better shift in the right power curve..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it will help up those hills? I have a chip at my house just afraid to put it in im wondering if with a valve body and a 100hp chip if the tranny will hold up on those hills.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I would do a valve body without a doubt. I prefer to tune the tranny with the valve body rather then with the chip for the most part...

I saw a broken down Ford on my way back from Flagstaff yesterday, coming up one of the passes on I-17... Would have stopped and helped but they were on the northbound and I was southbound... Thought it might have been one of the AZ guys.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't have a tuned chip, got a banks chip cheap a while back.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Get the body in there first, especially with the banks chip, as it has NO tranny tuning in it at all...

I do have a Swamps chip here with me, with PMT3 split shot tunes on it... Your more then welcome to come try it for a few weeks. Just let me know, I might send it or another one to PHP here shortly.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will the tranny hold up with the 100hp chip and valve body?

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
I will help with line PSI and give you firmer shifts..but getting a custom tune with the body would be your best option..with custom tunes the tuner can bump up line PSI, move shift points to keep it in the HP curve and reset tc lock up..do the body first and run it...if it still doesn't feel right get a tune..you can send in a PCM and have it burned with a tow tune or any tune you want for around 75 bucks if cash is a problem..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a banks chip is bad?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, its not good. Especially with the automagic

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
even if i put a valve body?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Id spend the money on a good custom chip(swamps, DP, BTS), instead of the valve body. Just keep an eye on your tranny temps so they dont go over 225 degrees for any period of time and you will pull that hill just fine.

I pulled 26K through the Rockies with a POS superchips 1715 on the stock trans w/ a tugger kit. It pulled through just fine, just had to stare @ the trans temp gauge.

The custom chips have MANY more features than a generic Banks chip
*several tow/performance/economy settings
*control Line Pressures to firm up shifts(works best in conjunction with a VB)
*integrated exhaust brake
*high idle for jump starting/winch operation
*you can purchase as few or as many programs you want

·
Registered
686 Posts
Jo, ditch the garbage and go with a proven tuner from this site. Honestly you won't feel much difference hp wise on the stock injectors, but your trans will love you much more.....Chad

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much do u think i can sell it for?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Is the banks chip a TS format? Call a few tuners, they may be able to reformat your chip and run with it. My chip says Bully Dog on it.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
yeah those banks stuff aren't good at all it WILL wear and probably break your tranny!!! look at a good chip even try and loooking into a TW chip.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im selling the banks have a buyer $250 for it im making money :D i think im going to go with the DP tuner. ITP diesel is local for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts