Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be pulling my transmission this weekend and changing the front pump seal. I am losing about ½ - 3/4 quart of ATF between fill-ups out of the TC inspection plate. Does anyone have any pointers on other things I should look at while it’s out? My dad says to change the rear main seal. Is there any special tools I need to do this? Any advice at all would be appreciated. Truck is a 96 F250, 4x4, with 300k Trans was built about 150k & 10 years ago (truck was my grandpas be fore he passed). I have no issues with the transmission, shifts great, and doesn’t get hot, ATF looks great, no burnt smell or discoloration. No complaints other than the puddle in the drive way.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,086 Posts
Also replace the bushing behind the seal. Inspect the snout of the torque converter. If that surface isn't perfect the new seal is going to leak, too. There is an aftermarket seal available that is made from a material called Viton. It's MUCH better than the stock seal.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
You must split the pump to change the converter hub bushing. It must be installed exactly the way it came out.

As mark stated check the coverter snout for any damage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts