Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please help with a definitive answer on where to pull the transmission codes from on an OBS 1997 7.3 E4OD 4x2 and whether it’s OBD-1, OBD-2, etc.? I’ve heard about 4 different locations and types and been through about a dozen threads and can’t get an answer. Also some recommendations on an actual quality code reader that’s reliable and worth the money. I don’t mind spending ~$350 as long as it’s not some overpriced junk. Perhaps multi function as well that could monitor engine/trans if possible? Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
it all depends on where the port is. if it is under the hood, it is not OBD-II if the port is under the dash it is OBD-II.
but i am pretty sure by 97 all diesel pickups were OBD-II

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright. So if somebody wanted to read the transmission codes for these trucks, which port would they pull them from?

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
if it is OBD II, it will not have an under hood port. if it is not OBD II, it will not have an in cab port

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I see what you’re saying now. Sorry I wasn’t understanding at first. Do you or does anybody else know of a reliable scan tool to figure out what’s wrong?

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
if it is OBD II torque pro or forscan are good tools. they are downloaded onto a tablet, laptop, or computer phone and then connect with a wireless device, or OBD to USB cable.
the download is around $5, and the bluetooth adapter or cable are $30 for a cable or $80 for the adapter
cable:
Sorry! Something went wrong!
adapter:
Sorry! Something went wrong!

even though the links say there is a problem, if you click on them they will take you to the proper page that describes each unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts