Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my guy at the Ford house to get my oil changed, we noticed there had been fluid coming from the cap up on the hood and down the fender well. He suggested that I replace the cap and the lower hose. Which I did. He said there was no other steps to take other than replace the head gaskets. It seems to only be doing it when I really get on it. Running 310 tune on the Spartan with DPF kit and banks intake. Someone also suggested changing the head bolts. ???

New to PSN any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
:doh:

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
You blew your head gaskets most likely. Buy sone studs and do the repair.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
how much do you think replacing the head gaskets will run me out of warranty?
How bad is it puking? I've heard of these on the 275 and 310 tunes puking on hard runs with fine gaskets my truck puked once too on just 150 tune but headgaskets are fine. Usually there will be more signs to a blown headgasket such as white smoke or even a hydrolock because when you shut the truck off the antifreeze will enter the cylinder.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Puking is not fine. Some people were having problems with a version of the 275 puking on their trucks but no other tunes. It is still pressurizing the system and some people just let it go since it doesnt do it on other tunes.

OP, I recommend a set of ARP studs and Ford OEM headgaskets unless you plan on going into your motor more than once, do the Elite H-11 studs if the wallet allows. Along with this I recommend a Complete EGR delete w/ wastegate. Rudy's Diesel or Performance Truck Products will give you the customer service you desire

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Puking is not fine. Some people were having problems with a version of the 275 puking on their trucks but no other tunes. It is still pressurizing the system and some people just let it go since it doesnt do it on other tunes.

OP, I recommend a set of ARP studs and Ford OEM headgaskets unless you plan on going into your motor more than once, do the Elite H-11 studs if the wallet allows. Along with this I recommend a Complete EGR delete w/ wastegate. Rudy's Diesel or Performance Truck Products will give you the customer service you desire
I thought it was more common than that I didn't no it was only that version of tunes that people were seeing it with Good to no

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Oh yeah OP, you can always try a different cap. It was a common problem on the 6.0s with the cap but I dont think so much on the 6.4s but it is the easiest fix to check

·
Registered
20 Posts
You may have bad EGR coolers also. This is the next easiest step to take and should be ruled out before going into the heads. The lower cooler is the main one to go bad, and it is the hardest to get to.

Are you out of warranty?
If so, I would go ahead and do a EGR delete and get rid of that junk. If the problem goes away, then your HG are probably OK.
If not, the head gaskets are the only thing left to do. Be sure to go with ARP or H-11 studs and then your ride should be bullet proof.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions I talked to my guy at the ford house he quoted me 5000 with new studs delete kit and head gaskets ? just dont have the funds to go ahead with it , going to try and change the tune and an EGR delete kit and see what happens ? any more help would be greatly appreciated ! also yes its out of warranty

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been having a similar issue with my 08 job 3, I have 18,000 miles on it, the first puke was around 13,000 miles, and only run the 210 and 250 tune, never run anything higher, It will puke if you really run it hard but then sometimes it doesn't, like when I go do a relearn process from 210 to 250 it doesn't do it, so it has been at ford 3 times for the same issue and they find nothing (they know it's tuned) so after having it for a week and a half I picked it up yesterday and the "DIESEL" tech said we lowered the level in the degas bottle and we ran it really hard a couple of times and the level stays about 4 inches from the top and doesn't puke, now you should be good to go, "Let us know", just about ready to give up and take it over to the Power shop and have them install HG's, they quoted me a price of $5,000 need it a complete week, any input from anyone, the fix they gave me sounds crazy!!

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
A lot of guys run there coolant level on the bottom line. Well after it sitting all night, before ever starting it in the morning, open the hood, and the coolant will be on the lower line. Ive been told by several guys that this is where their coolant stays and has no problems puking

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ford has my level at the "Bottom" of the degas bottle about 3 inches under the lowest mark on the bottle, just does not make any since, if it pukes again think I will just pay the money and get me some H11 studs and be done with it, very disappointed in Ford techs resolution!!!!

·
zfsix4our
296 Posts
So go with the h11s over the ARPs?

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
mine has gone through two caps so far, and i just popped the third the other day, but mine likes to sit really low as well. Every time the fill it i blow it out my cap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update on my issue, the dealer told me today that both him and the Diesel Tech believe it is Hg's rather than EGR coolers so he told me he was going to go start the process with Ford to change out HG's said he should know by middle of next week, I will post next week on what they are doing. Said they would install after market studs if that is what I wanted as long as I go get them, I said "NO PROBLEM" so looks like next week I might just be calling Aaron for some H11 studs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Between Dealer and my pockets HG's (H11's), chromemoly pushrods, Bullet Proof EGR coolers abot $5,200.00, Eric the tech did a perfect job, very happy with the work, well worth the peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts