Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just loaded the 275 tune a few days after installing intake, tuner exhaust. Did a few WOT runs just checking it out and what not. Drove to my " test area " and did the tranny break in procedures to the TEE. After the last 3/4 throttle pass I believe I Started smelling something burning and popped the hood and there was my 1st puke. I had the coolant level about 1" below the bottom fill line. Was hoping to stay running this tune but I guess I will be loading the 250 back soon. I have backpressure monitoring with the dash dq. I have the audible alarm to go off at 75 gph and it never has gone off. Its highest is right around 70 that I have seen.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
you should be safe with the 250...
i think part of the problem is the fact that the race tunes get hot quick and the BP also. the upper egr cooler is t'd off to the degas bottle, and that gets INSANELY hot!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you monitoring absolute pressure or desired pressure? I would be surprised if 70 psi caused the truck to puke. I have hit 73 psi of back pressure with the 250 tune, so it won't be any better.
Monitoring absolute seemed like the right choice but not sure of that.

you should be safe with the 250...
i think part of the problem is the fact that the race tunes get hot quick and the BP also. the upper egr cooler is t'd5 off to the degas bottle, and that gets INSANELY hot!!!
Just wish the EGR was turned off on the 250 tune. Truthfully I want to run the 275 or 310 but if it is going to yak I will detune it until a fix is found that don't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Yea, you monitor absolute and then subtract barometric pressure from that (thanks Mike). So in my case, I subtract 14 from what ever absolute reads off. I have never seen above 75 psi of back pressure with the 275 tune. I saw 73 psi with the 250 tune and 71 psi with the 210 TP tune. These are all EGR delete tunes on my truck since my valve is closed nice and tight lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, you monitor absolute and then subtract barometric pressure from that (thanks Mike). So in my case, I subtract 14 from what ever absolute reads off. I have never seen above 75 psi of back pressure with the 275 tune. I saw 73 psi with the 250 tune and 71 psi with the 210 TP tune. These are all EGR delete tunes on my truck since my valve is closed nice and tight lol
Are these numbers before or after you subtract 14? They are all closer than I thought to each other.

BTW are you suppose to relearn this tranny process after each time you change a tune? You would think if you are doing a complete tranny flash each time you load a tune it would need the process to be relearned.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most trucks will puke untill the coolant level is about an inch below the full line, and then they are happy...
that is where I had it prior. It puked enough out to be right under where you can see coolant level at the bottom of the bottle.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
that is where I had it prior. It puked enough out to be right under where you can see coolant level at the bottom of the bottle.
mine lives where they mold the top half and bottom half of the degas bottle, puked the first time to that level and it hasnt puked again, but i solved some back pressure issues so im sure its helped.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Are these numbers before or after you subtract 14? They are all closer than I thought to each other.

BTW are you suppose to relearn this tranny process after each time you change a tune? You would think if you are doing a complete tranny flash each time you load a tune it would need the process to be relearned.
Those numbers are after the subtraction.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine lives where they mold the top half and bottom half of the degas bottle, puked the first time to that level and it hasnt puked again, but i solved some back pressure issues so im sure its helped.
I thought about leaving it where it was after the puke, it did not run any hotter. What did you do for BP refief?

setting the back pressure warning at 70 is good, that means that you would be making about 56 psi of back pressure before the warning would go off.
Had it on 70 and it went off every time I hit it. So everyone seems to be talking DD numbers and not true pressure

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Heres the real question. If you want to have 70 psi of backpressure be the limit, assuming the atmosphere is 13 psi, do you set the Spartan for 83, or for 70?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I thought about leaving it where it was after the puke, it did not run any hotter. What did you do for BP refief?

Had it on 70 and it went off every time I hit it. So everyone seems to be talking DD numbers and not true pressure
changed turbos LOL

right which is what i would expect, before 70 psi absolute was easy hell even 80psi absolute isnt that hard to do.

The drive pressure at part throttle is going to be high because they are calling for high boost at part throttle to keep the smoke down, where you really need to data log things is WOT, not that you can change anything... because it is what it is untill you wastegate it. But not having block off plates will help a little

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
changed turbos LOL

right which is what i would expect, before 70 psi absolute was easy hell even 80psi absolute isnt that hard to do.

The drive pressure at part throttle is going to be high because they are calling for high boost at part throttle to keep the smoke down, where you really need to data log things is WOT, not that you can change anything... because it is what it is untill you wastegate it. But not having block off plates will help a little
Must be nice to actually hear turbos....... So I am actually doing well that I have never set off a alarm at 75 PSI yet with the 275 tune.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Must be nice to actually hear turbos....... So I am actually doing well that I have never set off a alarm at 75 PSI yet with the 275 tune.
cabs are so insulated on these things you still cant hear them that much, but it does sound better than the stockers.

that puts your back pressure at around 61-62psi, and im assuming your boost at that back pressure is around 42? so a 20 psi gap isnt terrible, i think most are setting the elite wastegates around 15psi over boost...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts