Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Puff of blue smoke

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Mdub707 
#1 ·
Ok when I am taking off from stop signs or leaving a parking lot (when the truck is left idling) I get a puff of blue smoke. It's not terrible, but definitely noticeable, especially coming out of two 6" stacks. It only does this when the motor is up to temperature and it only does it on stock tuning, which puzzles me the most. If I let it idle for 10 minutes on high idle, I can almost cloud out an intersection. I load a tune on, and it doesn't do this...

I just brought the truck in for this issue and a different, separate issue. They called me and told me it was because I dont have a cat on my truck. I dont buy it. It never used to do this when I was running it stock, and blue is definitely oil, that is not normal.

Any suggestions? Maybe a turbo seal? Truck has 57k miles.

#4 ·
Mine did the same thing man.Would start to do it when I let off after mashing on the skinny peddle a little. Blown turbo seals. I would take it somewhere else. My cat has been on my garage floor from the second day I owned the truck. Gonna have to call BS on that one

#5 ·
i don't know where these guys come up with this line about having no cat results in massive amounts of smoke. when mine was acting up i could hide the car behind me in a huge cloud.anyone with any sense would say that is being caused by something more than lack of a cat

#6 ·
No kidding. I've had nothing but terrible luck with other dealers. This is my third dealer, and they've been the BEST so far. They only have my truck for a couple days, they always call and let me know what's going on with it and what they're fixing (even though its under warranty) and they always wash/vacuum the truck no matter how small the job (even for $25 oil changes on my moms car). They did fix my 4x4 issues no questions asked. The tech who is working on the truck said he doesn't have a cat on his 6.0 and it does the same thing. I think the big issue is it's so cold out right now it's nearly impossible to see, usually just get a white/misty cloud from moisture. On warmer days I get the blue smoke. Guess I'll just get it back and drive it for a while and wait for warmer weather.

I know it's not supposed to do this, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what is causing it. I was thinking turbo seals.

#8 ·
How did they go about diagnosing this? I mean if the dealer tells me it's cause the cat isn't on there, I really dont have a leg to stand on since they're overlooking all of the stuff on my truck that isn't supposed to be there.

#9 ·
My 05 does this also, and I have been told by many it is the turbo seal leaking. For some reason mine gets better after a oil change, fresh oil will just barely have some but when a oil change is due it blows a big blue cloud. I plan on ordering a rebuilt turbo this summer to solve this issue.

#11 ·
I have the motorcraft stuff in now, since it has had engine work done within the last 5000miles. I usually run Amsoil full synthetic though.

I load my xtreme street on, and I dont get the blue smoke anymore though... that confuses me.

#12 ·
i use 5w-40 synthetic and my truck blue smokes really bad in the morning when its cold until i drive it about a block then it stops.

#13 ·
Mine only does it when it's warm. Cold I dont get any smoke. Only once the motor is up to full temp, I get a puff leaving every stop sign. I'll have to get video of this, because its quite a large puff sometimes, but it clears right out and it's fine until I stop again or let it idle for a couple minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.