Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So popets CAN NOT handle anything over 4000 ever?
Check the pretty pic in the middle of the page.

Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: boggerr

Well, I'm obviously no injector tech, but I've been told quite a few times that there's no reason to run over 3000. Maybe 3200 max. The reason I've been given for this is the injector popets open/ are forced open at 3500ish, and as a result they're then bypassing alot of ICP instead of making all that ICP hit the intensifier piston... So it gets counter productive...

After seein your gauge there though, either you're pushin such high volume that it don't matter.

Or aftermarket injectors have better popets that hold high ICP.

Or several people that are right about other things, are full of crap on this one.

Without derailin the thread to bad, somebody please school me on that one.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Re: Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner

After seein your gauge there though, either you're pushin such high volume that it don't matter.

Or aftermarket injectors have better popets that hold high ICP.

Or several people that are right about other things, are full of crap on this one.

Without derailin the thread to bad, somebody please school me on that one.
Stock AD's in Boggerrs truck, for now.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts

NO and NO.

If you feel like doing an experiment. Pull a valve cover, remove the HPOP line, and get a -05 ORB fitting and a high pressure pump. Hook it up to where you removed the HPOP line, and start pressuring it up. When you get to around ~3500 psi the poppets will start seaping by. As you go higher, the poppets will lift and piss oil out of the injector spill, the pressure will go down, they will reseat then lift again. This happens over and over. Now imagine this at 3000 RPM.

The only thing that holds the poppet down is a spring, as soon as you overcome the spring seat pressure, the poppet lifts, no if ands or buts about it. Some will have you belive that you need HIGH pressure. Belive what you want but physics say otherwise.

Mods feel free to move this if you feel we need ANOTHER thread about how the injector works.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

You guys have seen this with stock ADs I hear all the time...... Even if it holds 3500 stationary, under rpm you will have poppet bounce just like valve bounce and lowers the effective pressure that can be run. Are you sure you guys aren't running specially modified injectors that have higher spring pressures?

·
Do you smell something?
641 Posts

You guys have seen this with stock ADs I hear all the time...... Even if it holds 3500 stationary, under rpm you will have poppet bounce just like valve bounce and lowers the effective pressure that can be run. Are you sure you guys aren't running specially modified injectors that have higher spring pressures?

NO they are mostly alll stock ad's, or stage 2's, Joey would probably know better if any b code trucks are running it I believe there are 1 or 2....

I find it funny that most everybody talks about this magic 3500 number.........does anyone know what the blowoffs are set at in a stock oil pump:poke:

I have however wondered about the rpm thing.....however has this been tested on a flow bench? running 4000 psi and seeing a change in how much fuel is delivered? or how is this know for certainty....just because at the "3500" number the truck falls on its face and pops a bit? Serious questions.

Because we have had so many running higher pressures that "butt dyno" better driveability.....

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

NO they are mostly alll stock ad's, or stage 2's, Joey would probably know better if any b code trucks are running it I believe there are 1 or 2....

I find it funny that most everybody talks about this magic 3500 number.........does anyone know what the blowoffs are set at in a stock oil pump:poke:

I have however wondered about the rpm thing.....however has this been tested on a flow bench? running 4000 psi and seeing a change in how much fuel is delivered? or how is this know for certainty....just because at the "3500" number the truck falls on its face and pops a bit? Serious questions.

Because we have had so many running higher pressures that "butt dyno" better driveability.....
Yes, static pissing of oil verified. Reduced injector capacity because of reduced refil of injector also verified.
You might be able to get away with it at less than WOT because you don't need the full injector capacity, but the oil pissing across the poppet would IMO accelerate wear, although the poppet and seat is some really hard stuff.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
New thread created to avoid a total derale of the Adrenaline thread.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
The last time I turned Nate's bench up I broke it - otherwise there would already be a video. I haven't been back to break it since he fixed it.....

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Joey do you have the ablility to demonstrate your point so everyone can see what you are talking about? I guess the same could go for anyone else willing to share a short video presentation would be really helpful.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Who cares how high you can push them on a bench. What happens at 3600 when they are in an engine at 3000rpm??

They would act exactly the same as on the bench at 3600 psi and 3000 rpm. A piston going up and down doesn't affect the Poppets.
:shrug:

·
Do you smell something?
641 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I meant presurizing the head vs. running them on the bench.

Thats the point I was getting at....I see all this talk about "greaseguns" and "portapowers" I want to know what its ACTUALLY doing in a running condition.....

This has been hashed over many many times, and there is more that one guy running 3500+ icp with respectable numbers to boot.....

I am pretty sure thuggy as the pressure went up so did his hp numbers....

Enough bout that though.....

I want to know how you can "see" the oil squeezing by the poppets? OR is this just because the injector doesn't flow as much at the higher pressure, or is it specific injectors......or is it because spring pressure has been checked and thats the seat pressure...or was there high speed cameras involved? Because all the "TESTS" i have heard always say pressurize the head and watch what happens.....I can tell you in the 2 tests I was involved in 3500 fine 4000 fine....I won't tell you how high it went. but it was starting to get scary....no oil seepage....SO in my mind it has to only be happining in a running condition.....IN which case why is that so? spring tension? something has to close that poppet upon the electronics being shut off....

Here is the way I look at it, you got one side saying it floats, and another saying it don't....both have valid arguments, but both also have trucks running both ways....

discuss

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
has anyone actually heard 4kpsi in a running truck at idle? i have and hope to never hear it again. and talk about a loud mo-fo. it can not be good on stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts