Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive got a propain question. Dad is asking me if it will help get better fuel mileage on our trucks, i told him yes but i wasnt sure if it was something that would pay for its self in fuel savings. We would like to try this out on our detroit 60 series trucks then maybe our straight truck with a 5.9 12 v cummins in it. One 60 series is 425hp and the other is 325 iirc. My question is will this help out and pay for its self or not? I dont want to hear about the headgasket and engine problems associated with running too much pane, im well aware of that side of things. Im looking at using a mild shot for mileage. Any other tips to gain mileage out of the 60 series?

Luke

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
If you can get it cheap enought then go for it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw another post that a guy said he saved 6.7 cents per mile running propane, incl the cost of pane. A powershot2000 kit costs 700 bucks so it would take 10500 miles at that savings to pay off a kit. Hell one oil change and start saving $, i might just break down and buy a kit to try.

I just went and filled the 425hp truck up, it averaged 4.33 mpg. fock me running, It costs $1 per mile to keep fuel in the damn truck.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Ouch! a dollar a mile!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no input otherr then agree'ing with cat! If you could get it CHEAP... then go for it!

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
Luke, Hold up on purchasing that kit.

I'll call you tonight, about 7pm my time.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I saw another post that a guy said he saved 6.7 cents per mile running propane, incl the cost of pane. A powershot2000 kit costs 700 bucks so it would take 10500 miles at that savings to pay off a kit. Hell one oil change and start saving $, i might just break down and buy a kit to try.

I just went and filled the 425hp truck up, it averaged 4.33 mpg. fock me running, It costs $1 per mile to keep fuel in the damn truck.
The cost of the propane is the biggest intangable. That 6.7 cents per mile can change quickly depending on propane cost. That savings per mile was under load pulling a 5th wheel. When driving with no load the savings are slim at best with My 7.3. In My opinion the carnage stories that you read about propane were most likely done by someone pushing way to much propane into their engine. Always remember EVERYTHING in moderation. With a bigger truck and different engine it could be much better or maybe not, but @ 4.3 MPG it would be worth investigating. I had the powershot 2000 at first but was dissapointed because the adjustments were slim,I think now that there is more adjustments to be had with the powershot system. In My opinion I think adjustability is very important when trying to achieve the lowest cents per mile when considering using propane. PM ME, I still have My powershot system 250.00 will get it all, no tank

·
Registered
670 Posts
My 450 came with a PS2000..... Ive never used it.

Im seriously considering it though.....to go farther on a fill up.

Now I fill up when I get down to 1/4 tank. Im pretty sure I get around 225 miles. (on the first 3/4 tank)

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 450 came with a PS2000..... Ive never used it.

Im seriously considering it though.....to go farther on a fill up.

Now I fill up when I get down to 1/4 tank. Im pretty sure I get around 225 miles. (on the first 3/4 tank)
If you haven't tried it you really should. If you can get propane close to 3 bucks it should save you just a little and extend your range. With the PS2000 you want the propane tip in to be just below where you normally drive (boost pressure) if your driving for MPG

·
Registered
692 Posts
If diesel fuel prices keep rising, you may start to see more propane use. I have though about it, but even on a low flow mileage setting I'm afraid of tossing rods.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If diesel fuel prices keep rising, you may start to see more propane use. I have though about it, but even on a low flow mileage setting I'm afraid of tossing rods.
This is where you have listened to people who have no idea what they are talking about. I have run propane for over 175,000 miles on My truck with 0 issues concerning propane or anything to do with the motor. I'm now over 320,000 miles total. As I've stated before the window stories you have heard concerning pane were most likely from total misuse of pane, I dont know more than I've had an excellant experience using propane.

·
Registered
692 Posts
What is the most adjustable propane kit on the market for mileage purposes?. I could care less about power increase.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What is the most adjustable propane kit on the market for mileage purposes?. I could care less about power increase.
The MSD system that superchips sells is very adjustable, it is all done digitally with a hookup to a laptop. I have mine setup @10% comes on @ 3 PSI boost. See My thread (New propane data) here in the MPG forum. This will tell you My latest findings. The powershot2000 has more adjustability now than when I had it, I think. Don't know if it as simple as the MSD system to adjust.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
little update: started out at 4.3 mpg w/o any additive and are slightly above 5.5 mpg now. First change was to ditch power service fuel additive in favor for Schaeffers diesel treat, that change alone was good for 5.2 mpg. Next was to relocate the 5th wheel plate back to stock location and put the air dam back on the cab. Now we're just above 5.5 mpg, not bad for a few hrs worth of work. Still wanting to try propane and maybe break 6 mpg.

·
1,097 Posts
If you can get propane for under $2.75/gallon, go for it.

If not, it is more expensive (in terms of $/MMBTU) than No.2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts