Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some of my other threads, I have mentioned my project, and have promised to keep everyone up to date on its progress. So, here is the thread where I will post pics and general updates.

To start, as some of you may not know, here is the project:
Turn my '96 F-250 Ext Cab, Long bed, 4x4 into a monster (of sorts).

The next post will take us from the inception of the idea up through this last weekend. I will provide updates on the project as often as I something new comes up, which will hopefully be no more than about a week apart from here until it is complete.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was sick of the crap front end that the OBS F-250 came with and so started looking around for a solid axle for the front. Not finding many, and those that I did find were usually around $1000-$1200 and far away, it took me a while to find anything that really suited the situation. After several months of searching I came across a set (front and rear) of SuperDuty axles, from a truck that had been totaled, for $1500, and the only thing they were missing was a right front brake caliper (all steering, track bars, leaf springs, and even part of a drive shaft included).

I have a couple of buddies that had lifted SD's and sold them but still had wheels and tires sitting around, so I purchased a set of 16.5" Weld Mountain Crushers with 38" PJ Dirt Grips (most were pretty trashed but are still useable) and 2 spare steel wheels, from one of them for $500.

Now all I needed was a lift to make the tires fit. After doing some research I found that Sky Mfg sells a reverse shackle kit for the front that will provide about 5" of lift and a shackle flip for the rear that will give me about 4.5" of lift, adding up to about another $600. According to Sky, this kit would clear 37's, but personally I feel that this is quite cramped and like the look of a bigger lift with that size tire.

So the next objective was to figure out how to get the rest of the height I was looking for. I determined that 6" lift springs up front would do the trick and I would probably just use 4" blocks in the rear to try to level it out a little. Being a broke college student, it can be hard to come by the $500+ for the springs so I started saving, and searching the forums for a used set. Well, I have found a set, a should hopefully be purchasing them in the next week or so.

The other item that has been holding me up significantly was the right front caliper. NO MORE. This weekend I located a guy selling the front axle out of a 99 F-350 (my axles came out of a 99 F-250) for $75, but it was not a complete axle, he was missing a knuckle as well as some other parts. I contacted him to see if he would be willing to sell just the caliper I needed and he told me to make an offer. I made a reasonable offer and he accepted, and then sweetened the deal by saying he would sell me both calipers and a new set of pads for only $20 more than I had offered for just the one, bringing the total for the day to $50. I also spent $25 in gas (in my dad's prius) and about 4.5 hours of my Sunday to go get them, but when you consider that just the core charge I would have to pay to buy the caliper from Napa Autoparts is $66, it more than makes up for it.

I am now in the home stretch of locating the required parts for the lift. Since I will be fabing up my own steering system, I will need to buy the materials for that. I also will be needing some custom brake lines, longer u-bolts, and to have my drive shafts lengthened, and buy the materials for the ladder bars for the rear. That is all that comes to mind at the time, though I know other stuff will come up during the build.

Along the way, I have purchased other items that I wanted to do if the right thing at the right price came along. So far there are two of those. A the local metal supply store I found a 5" turn out stack (I happen to like turn outs the best and it was the exact size and shape I had been wanting) that was a factory take off from some truck sitting out in their scrape bins, and $25 it was mine. All I need for it now is some flex tubing and a 4" to 5" adapter. The reverse shackle kit I bought also provides the mounting tabs needed to make installing an InterCooler easier on the truck. Just over a week ago, I located and purchased an all aluminum IC on this site from Powerstroke Racer (he has more for sale, including stuff for other trucks).

Oh yeah, knowing that my buddies had had issues with the stock hubs on their SD's with those tires, I purchased a set of Warn hubs, I can't remember how much I paid for those though, but it was a decent deal.

That is all I can think of for now. I'll post more updates when I have them. Feel free to ask any questions, or make any comments about the project, but remember, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

·
Go Away I'm Baitin
1,142 Posts
pics????

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i haven't started the build yet, but I will post some pics of the truck as it sits as soon as I get back over to my dad's (where the truck is).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will also be putting in a built trans at the same time. Still trying to figure out exactly what is going into the trans, but lets not get into that in this thread.

·
Go Away I'm Baitin
1,142 Posts
keep a full pic build up that way when you are done you can have an album of the build

wish i would have taken progress pic of the few builds i have done

·
Go Away I'm Baitin
1,142 Posts
im really pissed at my self for not doing it

that aught to be a badass build thoug

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just found that Sky Mfg is selling the 5" shackle reversal kit and 4.5" shackle flip kit for $495, to bad I spent $100 more than that for the same stuff. I guess it's not that bad, I did buy that stuff like 6 months ago.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
& people called me crazy for wanting to put Superduty axles on an OBS....:rolleyes:

Sounds like quite a project, keep us updated on the progress! :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
& people called me crazy for wanting to put Superduty axles on an OBS....:rolleyes:

Sounds like quite a project, keep us updated on the progress! :D
well the superduty spring perches are wider then the obs's. So the leaf springs will not be square with the axle. Thus putting more pressure on something else. Will it break don't know, but it depends on your personality I guess.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I pretty much did the same thing to mine except only the 3" rsk, t looks like now I am going to have to notch the cross member to put the front drive shaft back on also my pinion angles went way out of whack, In the rear I had to spin my lift blocks they are tapered to try and get a better pinion angle, also the reverse shackle in the rear moved the rear axle forward a fair bit the drive shaft was almost rubbing on the tail housing, so i got a 1 piece built for that, in the front the pinion angle flatened right out aswell so I am going to try tapered shims in the front to get my pinion angle back. These are just a coupe problems I ran into, doing my big obs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet, thats awesome info and will definitely help move the project along.

Truck looks great too, mine will be just about identical except it is gray.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I said I would try to give an update about once a week and I think it has now been a little bit longer than that. I have hit a little bit of a snag in that christmas is coming and I am going to be spending some time in the mountains (hopefully snowboarding if we can get any damn snow) so the money is just a little short right now.

On the plus side, I am most of the way to buying the springs and pretty much just waiting to get the shipping money put aside so hopefully that wont be more than about a week out.

I have also started designing my guage pod. To many people have A-pillar pods, I don't like the look of a dash mount and no one makes an overhead pod, so I have drawn out the plans for an overhead system I will build myself. I have yet to decide the material but do know what I will be making the mold out of and have the stuff at home (step mom makes museum exhibits so fabrication materials are abundant) and will hopefully be going to work on carving it out soon. Incidently, once I have my all done, I will take some pics and if anyone likes it and would like one, it will be pretty easy to make another.

Anyway, theres the update and hopefully I will have more news (and better news) soon.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
A SD overhead pod can be made to work if that helps.

Tom

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might try that, although I kind of like making my own stuff when possible just cuz I think it is fun. It might give me some good ideas for mounting though, I have not figured that part out entirely yet. I might also add a little piece coming back a little more to put a couple of switches up there, so we'll see. Thanks for that info though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so here is a little update. I have decided to get a drop pitman arm and do the shackle reverse and flip for the time being that way I can at least make some progress. After reading another thread from someone asking what it would take to put SD leafs on his OBS I decided I would look in to how hard that would be and what the difference are. Turns out the only real difference I can find between the two (numerically) is that SD front leafs are almost exactly 2" longer, but other than that they would work. I am thinking that I will probably just switch to SD springs front and rear and then it will also be much easier to find a used set of lift springs with many more options as well.

So for the time being it looks like I will only need to buy a drop pitman, axle rebuild kit for the front and rear, and get the rotors surfaced, and then as soon as I have my new trans I will do the axles at the same time and finish the lift later.

Thanks to all who have read this, and hopefully soon I will be getting some pics up of some actual work being done, instead of just talking about it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts