Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1781 - 1800 of 1831 Posts

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,784 ·
What turbo did you put in it?
Its an SXE363 w/ the 73mm turbine and .88 AR housing. I went with the smaller housing for quicker spoolups and better high altitude performance.

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,785 ·
Got it Buttoned up, and fired it up, sounded great, but as soon as I backed it out of my driveway it started jumping around and running really rough. I'm assuming air in the HPO system. Took it for a drive and man was it a dog sometimes. Very randomly it would get power, and then fall on its face. Took it for about 5 miles and it does seem a little better, but only more driving will tell. It has no exhaust, and only the top half of the downpipe, so its extremely loud. The downpipe definitely does rub on the cab, and is very annoying. I wish we didn't have to deal with this crap.

Pics soon.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
482 Posts
I seem to remember an oval down pipe for OBS trucks I saw somewhere. Supposed to have 4” worth of flow, but fit on an OBS truck. I’ll see if I can find it while I’m sitting on my bum waiting on laundry.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
482 Posts

I’m prettty sure this was it.

Pretty pricey though.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,788 ·

I’m prettty sure this was it.

Pretty pricey though.
That is very cool! Of course it doesn't work with the T4 kit I just put in!

I just drove it 15 miles and it is not getting any better. I got home, did a buzz test, all passed. Then I did a CCT and it failed cyl 1. I checked fuel pressure and is rock solid at 56-57psi. No visible leaks. Pulling each of the 4 valve cover harnesses resulted in roughly the same results of rougher running. Unplugging the ICP sensor didn't change anything. When driving, HPO will peak 2800-3000psi and IPR % will follow like it should. But for some reason its showing my Inj Pulse Width is very sporadic, jumping from 1.8ms to 1000ms at idle? It does this while driving as well.

What would cause sporadic pulse width?

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,789 ·
That is very cool! Of course it doesn't work with the T4 kit I just put in!

I just drove it 15 miles and it is not getting any better. I got home, did a buzz test, all passed. Then I did a CCT and it failed cyl 1. I checked fuel pressure and is rock solid at 56-57psi. No visible leaks. Pulling each of the 4 valve cover harnesses resulted in roughly the same results of rougher running. Unplugging the ICP sensor didn't change anything. When driving, HPO will peak 2800-3000psi and IPR % will follow like it should. But for some reason its showing my Inj Pulse Width is very sporadic, jumping from 1.8ms to 1000ms at idle? It does this while driving as well.

What would cause sporadic pulse width?
I should add, no other codes, and anything over 3000rpms it sounds like its backfiring sort of. NO SMOKE whatsoever, not even in the race tune! And will even still build 32-35psi of boost.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,790 ·
Removed the ICP sensor and it had oil, so it shouldn't have any air. The tin nut on the IPR is tight.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,791 · (Edited)
Uh oh, I jumped the starter relay to crank but not start, and the engine has a definite dead skip now. What did I do....

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,805 Posts
Did you rebuild the engine? First thing that comes to mind from my personal experience is piston protrusion. Otherwise I have never dealt with that on the 7.3s myself.

·
Native Californian
635 Posts
Dan, I believe there have been a few issues with rocker arms on these engines that others have talked about. There isn't a whole lot that can be done. IIRC, there is an upgrade for stronger ones. Most will just do springs, pushrods and rockers all at the same time.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,795 ·
Did you rebuild the engine? First thing that comes to mind from my personal experience is piston protrusion. Otherwise I have never dealt with that on the 7.3s myself.
The engine was rebuilt, over 50,000 miles ago. When they did the rebuild, they machined too much off the head/block mating surfaces, so we were forced to go with .030" shorter pushrods, as they said that would prevent Piston-to-Valve contact. Maybe they did it wrong? But I put a camera in cylinder 7 a few months ago, and saw no apparent contact on the piston itself.

Note that both times a rocker arm broke, the truck was just idling.

Dan, I believe there have been a few issues with rocker arms on these engines that others have talked about. There isn't a whole lot that can be done. IIRC, there is an upgrade for stronger ones. Most will just do springs, pushrods and rockers all at the same time.
Yeah the only aftermarket set I can really find is CSD, and they want $2500 for them! Ugh.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,796 ·
Replaced the rocker arm. Still runs like ass. INJ PW still bouncing back and forth between 2ms and 80ms. Put a known good IDM in it, and still not any better

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,797 ·
Ran another CCT, it shows cyl 1 and 7 now. If I broke another rocker on both, im gonna be PISSED.

·
Native Californian
635 Posts
Keep us posted. Wish I had an answer.

·
Project Shamu
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,799 ·
Keep us posted. Wish I had an answer.
Gonna pull the valve cover again this morning and find out. Im hoping I dont have a stuck lifter. I noticed a sort of popping or backfire into the intake. Same noise as when the #7 cyl rocker broke the first time

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Dan,

Just curious - when you rebuild your engine did you put in different valve springs?

Cj

1781 - 1800 of 1831 Posts