Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1761 - 1778 of 1778 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hey Dan,
Long time no see! looks good. What are your sound proofing layers? How far up the firewall did you go?
Cj

Reactions: Lt.Dan

·
Project Shamu
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,762 ·
Hey Dan,
Long time no see! looks good. What are your sound proofing layers? How far up the firewall did you go?
Cj
Yeah I haven't had much time to check out the forum and keep up with it all. I used Noico 80 mil, and I just went from right behind the brake/accelerator pedal all the way to the back window. I didn't go too far up in the front because I didn't want to d*ck with removing the dash or anything.

I also got a cutpile carpet kit with mass backing. Sound level is probably cut in half!

·
Project Shamu
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,764 ·
A statement made earlier kinda surprised me, the '18 is gone? Didn't like it?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I loved the truck, but the market was still too good not to sell it! I made a very good profit on it while I still could, and figured I would kick myself in a year when the truck wasn't worth anything anymore lol. The payment on it wasn't fun either... lol

And now I get to dump money into Shamu for towing the big trailer again lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
Truck is looking good. Glad you are working on it again.

·
Native Californian
618 Posts
Welcome back...new flatbed because dually or just didn't like the previous design?

·
Project Shamu
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,770 ·
Truck is looking good. Glad you are working on it again.
Thanks bud, hows your truck been doing? I used to see it on IG a lot, but I haven't been on in years lol.
Thats a pretty slick looking flatbed you got going there. Thats going to be bad azz for sure
Thanks bud, we'll have to get our trucks together sometime for a play date lmao.
Welcome back...new flatbed because dually or just didn't like the previous design?
Both kind of. I'm not overly excited about the bolt on fenders I made for the existing bed, and I wanted it more "slim-line" and look like it belongs. I also am going to be towing the big 5th wheel now, so I needed to adjust the gooseneck height to compensate for the difference. I had to drop the gooseneck mounting plate almost 9" to line up correctly. The deck height on the existing one was just way too high.

This bed will also be about 8" longer, have larger storage boxes that are built in, instead of separate. The gooseneck ball will be hidden under the deck, instead of on top of it. The headache rack will more closely follow the contour of the cab, in both the X and Y direction. The rear bumper hitch will be almost flush with the outside, and access to the pin and safety hooks are all underneath to keep a "cleaner" look. It has also been redesigned a lot to rely more on the forming and tabing/slotting of parts, rather than relying strictly on welding for structural integrity, this saves a lot of welding time, and ensures its plenty strong for what I'm doing with it.

I'll try and get more pics tonight.

I also happened to measure the rear track width with the new wheel/tire combo, and with the stock 17" aluminum wheels, a 2" Spacer, and 35x12.50's, it was 100-101" wide. Now its just a smidge over 104"... Legal limit is 102"... Oops.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,694 Posts
I loved the truck, but the market was still too good not to sell it! I made a very good profit on it while I still could, and figured I would kick myself in a year when the truck wasn't worth anything anymore lol. The payment on it wasn't fun either... lol

And now I get to dump money into Shamu for towing the big trailer again lol
I don’t blame you one bit for moving it. I’m doing the same thing. Any (normally) depreciable asset is getting sold. It won’t last forever but I’ll take it while it does. My 2014 is gone, sold our big living quarters horse trailer, about to put my wife’s Expedition up for sale, you name it. Rock our older stuff for a few years and let the market drop/reset, then buy back in with the cash saved...

·
Native Californian
618 Posts
Thanks bud, hows your truck been doing? I used to see it on IG a lot, but I haven't been on in years lol.

Thanks bud, we'll have to get our trucks together sometime for a play date lmao.

Both kind of. I'm not overly excited about the bolt on fenders I made for the existing bed, and I wanted it more "slim-line" and look like it belongs. I also am going to be towing the big 5th wheel now, so I needed to adjust the gooseneck height to compensate for the difference. I had to drop the gooseneck mounting plate almost 9" to line up correctly. The deck height on the existing one was just way too high.

This bed will also be about 8" longer, have larger storage boxes that are built in, instead of separate. The gooseneck ball will be hidden under the deck, instead of on top of it. The headache rack will more closely follow the contour of the cab, in both the X and Y direction. The rear bumper hitch will be almost flush with the outside, and access to the pin and safety hooks are all underneath to keep a "cleaner" look. It has also been redesigned a lot to rely more on the forming and tabing/slotting of parts, rather than relying strictly on welding for structural integrity, this saves a lot of welding time, and ensures its plenty strong for what I'm doing with it.

I'll try and get more pics tonight.

I also happened to measure the rear track width with the new wheel/tire combo, and with the stock 17" aluminum wheels, a 2" Spacer, and 35x12.50's, it was 100-101" wide. Now its just a smidge over 104"... Legal limit is 102"... Oops.
Completely makes sense and longer is always good with truck beds, IMO. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Your work is always impeccable!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm still dealing with the cancer bullshit so my truck hasn't moved all that much in the last four months. Will hopefully be back in the dirt and sand soon.

·
Native Californian
618 Posts
Was dropping in here to check on any updates. Hope all is well Dan!

·
Project Shamu
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,776 ·
Was dropping in here to check on any updates. Hope all is well Dan!
All has been well and busy here! I did get the bed finished, powdercoated, installed and everything, but life has been a crazy roller coaster. I was supposed to be moving to AZ in June/Julyish, but my boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse, to stay in Cali. So we bought a house here and have been trying to settle in.

For the pic whores:
Test fitting the new bed
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Another custom fuel tank, but this time I opted for all AN fittings and nice Nylon braided lines. I even reran all of the lines from the filters up to the engine as well, much cleaner and nicer! I also did the transmission cooler lines in the same nylon braided lines with all AN fittings too.

Floor Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior Machine

Bed back from powdercoat

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Naval architecture

Bed installed, gooseneck hitch was the perfect height, nailed the trailer being level. Shamu loves a little weight on her a$$.

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

And the house we have moved into.

Sky Plant Building Window Car

I still have a ton of parts to install on Shamu, that I purchased months ago! The biggest one is the Obsession Diesel T4 Turbo kit with the SXE363, RiffRaff billet 3" plenums, and an all new intercooler setup. I also have a full door weatherstripping kit for all 4 doors, and a custom Radius arm kit that I made to be able to adjust caster finally. I still have to powdercoat the entire front suspension still (its looking worse and worse under there....), and install the NP205 transfer case and new driveshafts! It also needs an oil change, going on 8,000 miles right now... I did finally pass 400,000 miles on her though !!

·
Registered
640 Posts
New bed looks great. Congratulations on the new house.

1761 - 1778 of 1778 Posts