Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1461 - 1480 of 1480 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,464
Yeah I'm sticking with my 10.5 I just put in for a while, no reason to replace it as it's exactly what i want. Now the 05+ D60 i just bought will allow me to go coil spring front (maybe coilovers if I find a good enough deal), which will finally get rid of the need of wearing a kidney belt to drive this truck. I hate the way it rides...

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
So are you keeping it as radius arms or you going to 4 link it?

The factory ford radius arm mounts are a touch wider and where they connect to the frame on the obs it tapers in. So you will have to make shims to fit them up. But with your fabrication skills I know you will build your own brackets. Also find your ride height then keep your radius arms flat and build to that. Check out Carli and see how they make their brackets, they make their mounts extend back some.

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,467
I plan on 4 linking it, with longer arms. Though I'm pretty sure I will use the factory attachment point on the axle side for simplicity. I do plan on lowering ride height 3-4", and I will remake my steering so that the drag link attaches to the knuckle and the panhard can be much longer to match. I also intend to mount the panhard in front of the axle instead of directly above it like before. Right now its causing clearance issues at full bump, and the lower ride height will make it worse. With the lower ride height, the steering should be relatively flat, and the 4 link bars will also be the same.

I'm also debating on scanning and trussing this axle, like I did my rear... we'll see how much time I have.

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,468
Well my buddy paid me for the axle already, I ordered an 08 axle and its getting shipped to me, now I'm doing all my research and preparing for that. Then all last week, I pulled the flatbed off my truck, finished it up (finish welding, sanding/prepping etc), and took it to powdercoat on Thursday. It should be ready on the 10th or so. Can't wait for that.

In the midst of preparing the bed, I also was very unhappy how my headache rack came out. In the choice of trying to save weight, I ended up making the headache rack too thin (.065"), and made it hard to weld/sand, so I ended up cutting it off completely and re-making it out of 12ga (.105"), then TIG welded all the seams. Came out way nicer and I'm much happier with it. I also took my traction bars and mounts to get powdercoated, as they we're getting pretty rusty... I also opted to not powdercoat my gas tank, as its Aluminum,and I didn't want to have to drain, remove, and clean it.

And as of now, I no longer have ANY RAW METAL PARTS ON MY TRUCK! First time in 5 years...

Pics on the trailer, ready to go:

20200129_182640.jpeg
20200129_182645.jpeg

·
Native Texan
9,007 Posts
Poor Shamu so naked and afraid. I love watching ur work. Looks so much better then my work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,471 (Edited)
Got the axle finally, out of an 08' with 230k miles. Came with the sway bar, steering, panhard, and radius arms, for $390 shipped. Score.

Gonna put 13'+ brakes on it, heim steering and either build some true 4-link bars for it, or some semi-longish arms.

20200211_154714.jpg

20200211_154722.jpg

I also finally fixed the rest of the back of the cab. Pulled the dents probably 95% of the way, then laid on a nice helping of body filler, sanded, body filler, sanded, body filler, sanded... etc etc etc... finally tonight I got it to where I was okay with it, and shot it with some primer. Hopefully tomorrow I get to shoot some paint. I'm no body guy, nor am I good at painting, but the guys that are helping me are pretty knowledgeable, so we'll see. Hopefully one day I can take it to a real body shop and have them do the whole truck, bumper to bumper, fixing all the little nicks, and dents.

20200211_195756.jpg

·
Native Californian
364 Posts
Hey bud, check your PMs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,007 Posts
Take it out playing then u wont know the difference in the color.

·
Native Californian
364 Posts
Dude.....just.....seriously.

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,476
Thanks guys! I keep getting compliments everywhere I go, more and more! Cant wait to get it all cleaned up and that 08 front axle in it!

I'm also trying to finish up a few other side jobs first, so we'll see how long that all takes...

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,478
Well I just hit up the O'Reilly's by my house and had the guy pull the front brakes for an 08' and a 13' and holy chit the 13 brakes are big! I think with an adapter for the caliper, I can make it work! So I bought one side just to test fit and make an adapter with, then I can return them and get the brakes I actually want online (and at half the price! Ouch they're expensive in store!!)

Pics!
08' brakes 13.75" in diameter
20200216_093306.jpg

13' brakes- 14.25" in diameter
20200216_093310.jpg

·
Native Texan
9,007 Posts
I have used rotors from time to time we replace them everytime on the ambulances cause we dont take no chances

·
Project Shamu
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,480
Well I got the rotor on and was checking out the caliper. It doesn't fit... The offset from caliper ear on the knuckle is the same for both trucks, but the hole spacing from hole to hole is larger (10" on the 13' brakes, and 8.438" on the 08' brakes). So theres no way to make an adapter bracket since the offset is essentially the same, and the bolt is just a little further out.

Only way to do it is to cut off the ears and weld on some new ones, which probably wouldn't be very safe or easy to do correctly.

Or you could swap out the 13' knuckles, but idk if the unit bearings, stub shafts, ball joints etc are the same.

So bottom line, not worth it.

1461 - 1480 of 1480 Posts