Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Your getting 38 psi of boost with the stock turbo? What size injectors are you running?

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Thanks guys! I've got a few more things to go over. That was about 6 months ago, so I've done a few more things since then, ill post it up when I get home from work tonight.
I know your pain trying to get everything ready to yank my trans back out. It good ur putting this together now.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your getting 38 psi of boost with the stock turbo? What size injectors are you running?
Yup it will peak at about 38psi (Maf reading, 36psi on the boost gauge) with the stock AB 130cc injectors. The HPOP will push 3000psi at 3300rpms. I'm very very happy with it. Only problem is I don't know how long the turbo is going to last. Hopefully until I have the money to put in a KC38R.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Okay, so you have a California truck with the split shot injectors. That's still impressive boost numbers. Thats about what mine makes is close to 40 psi.

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think your s366 has a larger opening as well, 38psi through a 2" opening isnt near as much as 40 psi through a 2.5" or 3" opening! Its about volume, not pressure i guess.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yes I understand. There is more area in one 3 inch hole than two 2 inch holes. I have 3 inch plenums. The output on the s366 is 2.5 inch I believe.

I still find that to be impressive boost numbers. I doubt your tp38 likes it but that's ok. Run it until she blows. Pun intended :wink:

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes I understand. There is more area in one 3 inch hole than two 2 inch holes. I have 3 inch plenums. The output on the s366 is 2.5 inch I believe.

I still find that to be impressive boost numbers. I doubt your tp38 likes it but that's ok. Run it until she blows. Pun intended :wink:
Hahaha, thats the plan, and then once it blows, I can pull the, "But honey, I have to get to work, and I cant put another stock one in there, it will just do it again!"

Unfortunately I dont think the Transmission will outlast the turbo... And thats a much harder bullet to bite than a turbo haha

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I hear ya there. I am currently looking for a donor truck to swap in a 5 speed but need to convince the wife it needs to happen first. I think I might actually have her on board now. I cant wait to get that done.

Hopefully your tranny hangs in there until you get your new turbo and really make it mad. I'm real interested to find out if the kc38r is all its supposed to be. Let us know how ya like it when you get it installed.

Hopefully when your turbo does blow your new engine don't eat a bunch of metal shavings. It might pay to pull the intake tune every now and then and give the shaft a wiggle.

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, back to April of this year, I installed a Diamond Eye 4" exhaust. Now up until now, I was just running a downpipe, and no exhaust. It was louder than ####. It sounded awesome, if you think the turbo whistle is loud when the 7.3 is straight piped, you can't imagine what it sounds like with no exhaust.

But i grew tired of it, you couldn't talk in the cab, even with the truck idling. Long roadtrips were very undesireable, so I decided to put an exhaust on it.

But nobody would send me the "offroad pipe" to replace where the cat goes, so I had to buy a 3' long piece of 4" exhaust tubing, and a 3" to 4" adapter.

The install was a little more difficult than I thought, I had to really manipulate it to make it fit, although its not Diamond eyes fault, because I had to modify it at the same time.

I even cut the tailpipe to kind of match the bedside, and look a little better. Diamond eye makes it stick out like 8" past the tire for some reason???

Attachments

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So now after I do this, I have my daughter, Violet Mary Mckenzie, and me and my wife decide to move back to our hometown, Visalia, Ca, to be closer to family.

Now by the second picture in the last post, you can see the bed is no longer black. Well thats because about 2 years ago, a friend of mine accidentally ran into the passenger bedside and smashed it in. So I picked up this bed for $50!! Its very straight, other than a crease on the drivers rear panel behind the tire, and small dings throughout the bed. But it looked a hell of a lot better than the one that was on the truck.

So I brought it into the backyard, sanded it down completely to metal, and the primed it with rustoleum white, and then shot it with rustoleum gloss black.

Now unfortunately, I must've messed up shooting it black, because it was extremely textured, so when i went to sand it, I had to go very far to make it smooth, and ended up sanding through the black, and showing the white primer in 2 spots... I gave up almost right after.

So I'll just end up taking it to a shop and having them paint the whole truck someday, just for now, I'll have to deal with it the way it is.

Attachments

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Next thing I did, I actually did last weekend, was a sump kit. Here is the thread i started for it. OBS pre-pump mods

I was having problems with filling the front tank, almost to the point where no matter how lightly I held the trigger on the pump, it would fill up the neck and shut off.

I was also having problems with injector cackle. Really badly. And the only way I could see it getting in was through the factory pickup, and the sh*tty quick connect lines that go from the tank to the selector valve.

So I decided to get a sump kit, and if it fixed my cackle, I was going to buy a 38 gallon rear tank and get rid of both.

Well sure enough, the truck has NEVER ran better, cackle completely gone, truck is much quieter and much smoother.

So needless to say, I plan on buying a 38 gallon rear tank as soon as I get some more funds. For now, I have a short drive to work (4 miles), so I'll live with the small tank for now.

I also tried to see just how far I can take it now without running out of fuel. So I ran it down pretty far, almost past E on the gauge, then used the drain built into the sump to drain the tank to see just how much fuel was left. There was about 3/4 of a gallon left, which was surprising! So I filled it back up, and drove to Costco (about 5 miles) and filled up with fuel. I stuffed 16.5 gallons into the tank before it spit out of the neck at me and down the bedside.

So I know I've got at the MOST 17 gallons in the tank now.

Attachments

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Awesome done alot of good work to her. I guess that's a down side to living in California its hard to get some parts.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
that came out awesome for a $50 bed!
The DE 4" exit looks correct, you have it at the correct angle and position. it takes a bit of messing with to get the pipe over the axle to exit behind the tire properly, yours looks exactly like mine = good work! Mine did not stick out 8" past anything, it fits perfect. I am running the DE kit with 4" muffler and now I am thinking of getting rid of the muffler all I hear is injectors and turbo whistle a little exhaust tone would be nice. I was going to need to add a cat converter to my truck for testing this year....I won't have to do this if we get to Idaho fast enough!

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Awesome done alot of good work to her. I guess that's a down side to living in California its hard to get some parts.
Yeah, what I dont get is, there is no emissions testing on pre '98 diesels, so who cares if you send me an "offroad pipe"? Stupid...
that came out awesome for a $50 bed!
The DE 4" exit looks correct, you have it at the correct angle and position. it takes a bit of messing with to get the pipe over the axle to exit behind the tire properly, yours looks exactly like mine = good work! Mine did not stick out 8" past anything, it fits perfect. I am running the DE kit with 4" muffler and now I am thinking of getting rid of the muffler all I hear is injectors and turbo whistle a little exhaust tone would be nice. I was going to need to add a cat converter to my truck for testing this year....I won't have to do this if we get to Idaho fast enough!
Yeah the exhaust took me a while but it fits right where i want it, I'm just worried if it will fit with the deeper tank, I only have about 2.5"-3" between the stock tank and the exhaust right now, so If it doesn't clear, I'm going to have to modify it some more...

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Yeah, what I dont get is, there is no emissions testing on pre '98 diesels, so who cares if you send me an "offroad pipe"? Stupid...

Yeah the exhaust took me a while but it fits right where i want it, I'm just worried if it will fit with the deeper tank, I only have about 2.5"-3" between the stock tank and the exhaust right now, so If it doesn't clear, I'm going to have to modify it some more...
yeah some companys just go way to far to protect their butts.

Well thats why mine has a turn down in front of the axle. if you have to go that way make sure it points down below the sway bar bushing or you will regret it. I fried one before I fixed my turn down. you wouldnt think the exhaust would be that hot that far back. but with 4 inch pipe I guess it flows faster then the heat can disapate.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
yeah some companys just go way to far to protect their butts.

Well thats why mine has a turn down in front of the axle. if you have to go that way make sure it points down below the sway bar bushing or you will regret it. I fried one before I fixed my turn down. you wouldnt think the exhaust would be that hot that far back. but with 4 inch pipe I guess it flows faster then the heat can disapate.

I was actually thinking about having it dump in front of the rear tire instead of under the bed. Get the soot out from underneath the truck.

But we'll see if the rear tank fits or not.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts

This is how mine dumps now hasnt caused me any more problems. dumping out in front of tire was not an option with my duals. heat and fiberglass dont mix well.

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
350k and strong! Haha

Now I do have a problem with that sump kit, it seems that since I left the selector valve in tact, so I didnt have to do any wiring or plumbing for the return line, that the rear tank is getting pressurized somehow (I'm assuming fuel coming from the return line is pressurizing the tank), and is pushing fuel out of the selector valve (where the feed to the pump use to be). So for now I stuck a bolt inside the hose and clamped it down, but it didnt stop the leak completely. I guess I will have to look further into this than I thought.

Maybe I'll pull sending unit/pickup out, and cut off the pickup tube flush with the mounting plate, and then run a hose off of it up high somewhere (maybe into the tailight area or something) to act as a better vent? That way I can fill the tank up faster at the same time.

·
Project Shamu
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's really depressing when I think about all the money I need to put into this truck to get it driving and looking decent... I've already put more money into it than it's worth, and can't sell it for jack sh*t. Now I need to put even more into it lol!

Anybody else feel the same?

Speaking of which, I just put on all new front brakes, bearings, and seals! Only to find out the rear drums are warped shortly after...

21 - 40 of 1557 Posts