Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stack is gone, and was replaced with a 4'' AFE sys with free-flow muffler. This made a huge difference in drone sound in cab. The only thing that I noticed was a slight increase in pre-turbo backpressure, at any rpm above 2K there is a constant 5psi showing where before it rested on 0 (this is with the truck rolling in gear and no throttle input). The EGT's saw no change, the spooling may have been slowed very slightly.

Next will be the valve covers. I am going to try the bed liner (extra heavy coating) to see if this takes the injector rattle down a few notches.

The turbo is pretty quiet for now, we will see after the other mods.

·
Got plenty of issues
68 Posts
I would like to see where this goes for you. I am always up to quiet down unnecessary noises (except my exhaust)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aren't most bed liners' petroleum based wouldn't the heat from the motor be a threat to ignit the liner on your valve covers? I dunno was wondering.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Im going to guess it wont be a problem. its no different than having your valve covers covered in oil (which mine and i bet alot of them are). i dont think its flamable enough to ignite the valve covers considering there really isnt any spark or flame in the engine bay! :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
you could also try wraping turbo and down pipe with exhaust wrap material. it should keep the noise inside the exhaust pipe. also have you done the mods under the dash? i got the cover pannel from the excursions and it helped also around the steering shaft hole in fire wall.

·
Registered
284 Posts
montana350, could you expand on the mod about under the dash? Did it help reduce sound in the cab?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Dang beat me too it .
The excursion had two hush pannels to help quiet it down.
I forget the part numbers. You could search the old tds forums there was a nice writeup
W the part numbers...and the snowman mod. Which was a beer cozy round the steering column. Might as well do the door seal mod as well but pony up for the laytex tube clear vinyl does not work it crushes and stays flat and is all stiff and chitty in the winter.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I sprayed my valve covers with Lizard Skin. I will be able to give some feedback this weekend. Rain prevented me from finishing it this past weekend.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just got done doing my cab with the rubberized undercoating (bedliner) and it is a night and day difference!!!!!! Cant even hear the engine cruising down the road at 60.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got done doing my cab with the rubberized undercoating (bedliner) and it is a night and day difference!!!!!! Cant even hear the engine cruising down the road at 60.
Did you have the cab off, or just undercoated?

What did that cost you?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you have the cab off, or just undercoated?

What did that cost you?

I did it when I pulled the transmission. I did the underside and pulled the interior and did the inside also. Costed around $50 worth of spray cans. And a whole bunch of break cleaner to get all the oil off.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I would think spray the outside and then use mat for the inside. Very cool low cost way of doing it all with spray though. It kills me not having a lift anymore. They are priceless compared to jacks, ramps and laying on the creeper and floor.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Better have a mean set of ramps to hold 7k+ up in the air

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Might have to do my floor, I see home depot sells the stuff. Be a good project for one of these weekends.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
They are good for over 12K so I am good but still I am going to do some mods to the garage door opening assembly to allow for a lift. Plenty of ceiling height @20'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone noticed if any brand of exhaust system/muffler is quieter than another? With an Excursion I am worried to much noise will travel up from the rear. Its not much of a concern for all you guys with pickups. I want to get a 4inch turbo back system with cat delete but I still want to be able to talk to my wife and let my little girl sleep.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
where did you pick this stuff up at? Home depot?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Our Excursion with no cat from the factory, 4" DP-back with an Aero-Turbine 4040 is relatively quiet. I mean, its no gasser, but its alright. My 1-year old niece falls gently asleep in it going 85mph down the highway, no challenge. A 4040XL might make it even better.

Oh, custom 4" exhaust from a local shop.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The aero turbine is one of the quieter non drone mufflers I have heard.
A good choice for an excusion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts