Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to Powerstroke nation and I have a project truck I bought extremely cheap (1300$) I am trying to get the truck too look as good as it runs. When I bought the truck two weeks ago these were the problems
- needed a glow plug relay
- rust work ( surface rust everywhere, only rot on bed wheel wells )
- glow plugs (apparently as stated from previous owner)
-Shift Linkage ( Would not go into park or first

The first thing I did was replace the glow plug relay ( as advised by a friend who owns a powerstroke) Still then it would not start even if cold. I tried diagnosing various other things. Until my metals shop teacher told me to check the battery fluid. Sure enough there was a hole in the bottom of the passenger side batter about the size of a half dollar. No wonder the glow plugs were not getting hot enough. We'll it was -7 today and started up first try! So now that that is out of the way I fixed the shift linkage it was just two of the bolt backed off (Classic problem). Now on to the body work which is maybe the largest problem I have had so far! I cleaned up the passenger side rocker area no problem NO ROT it's crazy. I went to the drivers side and found a rot hole about four inches long and proceeded to fix that as well. That's when I noticed that the drives side front fender and the door are way out of alignment. The space between the fender and the door at the top is less then quarter of an inch and then at the bottom it's about three quarters of an inch in space. I know that the hinges on the door are loose but that was not it. So I took it to a buddy of mine and he pointed out the obvious. The truck needs a front drivers side body to frame mounting bracket (right under where the pedals are ) is broken rotted through. I would like to make my own because I have all the materials to do so and this truck is not my daily driver . I am trying to get this to look great and am planning on showing you ever step of the way! PLEASE HELP me through this order I am very new to owning a powerstroke and diagnosing it's issues!
This is all the information on my truck!
-Ford F-350
-Powerstroke 7.3 turbo diesel
-317935 miles on the odometer
-6 position chip 0-140 billy dog
-Cold air intake intake
-315-75-R16 Goodyear tires
-Wheelbase 133.0 in
:ford:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No future mod plans my friend has some 5" aussie stacks off his old truck. He bought them for 900 and wants 400 for them I might buy them but for now I wanna just fix what it needs. Thanks tough I really like it so far!

·
Registered
139 Posts
No future mod plans my friend has some 5" aussie stacks off his old truck. He bought them for 900 and wants 400 for them I might buy them but for now I wanna just fix what it needs. Thanks tough I really like it so far!

You should put that $400 in to new injectors or a chip with custom tunes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not going to get anything expensive for a while I am more interested in fabricating the front drivers side cab mount bracket!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Good buy for $1300. Congrats and welcome to psn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

·
Low cash cowboy
380 Posts
great buy! wish i could fine a manual version of this truck to make a mud truck out of!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good deal. Glad your starting issue was simple. Can you upload a picture of your cab mount? I suggest energy suspension cab bushings if you have to replace them. Another thing you should check is your radiator support. Sadly if your cab mount is gone there is a good possibility that your radiator support is going to need some attention also. I just went through all of that with my truck. Cab mounts were gone and I rebuilt those, radiator support was gone also and rebuilt that. I replaced all the cab bushings with energy suspension bushings. My fenders were crap same with my box and cab corners. Truck was a rust bucket! Sad to say but it was. So I started during the spring and pulled the box. Scrap yard for that giant piece of rust and got a rust free one for 700$. I then pulled my fenders, started wire wheeling the frame and painted chassis saver on that. Then I replaced cab corners. Got some rust free fenders. New hood. Then off to the paint shop. You have a good basis to start with, just going to take some time and money to make her really shine!
This is my truck now.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good looking truck yeah I'd like to replace everything myself here are pictures if both drivers and passenger side ImageUploadedByAG Free1390999586.550744.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1390999602.946205.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1390999609.813854.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1390999617.795473.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah your floor boards are gone. Its not a tough fix but its still time consuming. Honestly the floor boards arent expensive to buy and you will be leaps and bounds ahead of trying to make your own

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah it's a pain! I rebuilt both of mine. They aren't pretty but they work. Mine were so bad that if I hit a bump my cab would come off the frame and hit back on it. I'll upload some pictures in a little. I don't have any on my phone. Took me and a good friend about 2 hours to rebuild them and replace cab bushings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey saw that on craigs a couple weeks ago good score and hello from NH!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you very much it is a great truck thus far but I just plan on giving it a proper mild resto!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
where in nh are you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts