Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Its shawn and that was a while a go. You can just drill and tap the spider.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
While you're making wires might as well do the big 3 mod. Wire from alt to drivers batt, positive and negative. Run the negative to the hold down bolt. Then block to frame. Be sure to fuse your positive wire.
What is the purpose of this mod? I'm not seeing that it would do anything other than remove two junctions.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Hey, CJ, what's up? Last saw, you had concrete going in and you had to get the truck running so your wife could have the van.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
Driveway is back together. I miss my former dirt driveway already. I had 55 feet of "entryway" that I could pull into, wait for traffic to go past, then pull out and back up the driveway. Oh well. Truck is running well with the intercooler. I don't have anymore power (and didn't expect to), but climbing hills on the highway I do notice that the power doesn't fade like it use to.
What is the purpose of this mod? I'm not seeing that it would do anything other than remove two junctions.
Jax - typically when you hook up batteries in parallel you want to bring the positive and negative leads off opposite sides. Then when you charge the batteries they will charge more evenly. The mod that Shawn mentioned does something similar. It also gives the alternator a direct copper ground path back to the batteries.
Blue - Stuck in concrete with a RTO6610? - you jest! I'll get pictures up this evening. I have the compressor supports cut out and tack welded together. And I have done the first dry fit. The pulley I welded to the alternator pulley may need to come off and get replaced with something else as it doesn't want to fit the belt I had in mind. I need to order a different pulley/clutch setup off truckersAC as the 7.5 inch pulley on my current setup just gets in the way of too many things (A/C lines mainly). TruckersAC has a setup with a 6 inch pulley that I think will work okay.

Cj

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Glad to get the good report.
I was meaning stuck in concrete as in you got yourself a pair of cement shoes, maybe because your wife wanted the van back. Lol

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
No cement shoes... Though the wife did need to have the van again. It was just a really really late night on July 3rd.

·
Project Shamu
3,177 Posts
Where the hell have I been, i totally missed most of your thread and read it all right now, while at work lol.

If you need brackets for anything, let me know. All that looks like itll fit in a box!

I even have a york compressor sitting in my toolbox that I've been wanting to mount for a long time, but never took the time to figure out how to get it in there! If you can design it to clear my CSD pipes, I'll make us each a set for free!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
Lt.Dan,

I had a local shop make them for me.. though you might have been cheaper. Unfortunately, your CSD pipes go right through the space where I plan to park the pump. As you have seen, I modified the OEM pipes to allow the pump to fit in. I'll have pictures up late tonight of the test fit.

·
Project Shamu
3,177 Posts
I am pretty interested in the dual alternator idea too...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
All right... the pictures as promised.
I'm using the mounting holes on the bottom of the compressor to mount it. I will have to install the compressor then drop the mount into the truck.
Auto part Pipe Wire Metal

Footwear Auto part Shoe Suspension Suspension part

With the compressor installed. The first picture is a bit blurry, but the pulley on the compressor is rubbing the A/C line coming off the condenser. TruckersAC has a clutch/pulley unit that is 6 inches in diameter verses the 7.5 inch pulley in the pictures.
Auto part Engine Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Auto part Vehicle brake Disc brake Automotive wheel system Scrap

Lt.Dan - I thought about the dual alternator set up to. Primarily to get the alternator down and out of the way as I would have mounted the York on its side where the current alternator is. I think another member posted his setup a page or two ago on my build. You can find the brackets on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
What is the "draw" of a compressor?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Hmmm the why? I guess I have a few reasons. First and foremost, the RTO6610 transmission I stuffed in the truck needs air to shift the gears in auxiliary case (this is the Hi-Lo gear and the only syncroed gear set in the transmission). I'm getting tired of having to track how full the air tank sitting in the bed is, not to mention filling it once or twice a week from my shop air. At some point I will add air bags to the rear axle to help with heavy loads so being able to air them up without searching for an air hook up would be nice. Air is also very handy when purchasing dead used forklifts with flat tires. Finally, the ability to fill truck/trailer tires to meet the load requirements is something I have wanted for a while now.

Although... if you ask my lovely wife.. she'd probably answer that the reason is I'm just insane :).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
so how much to get an output shaft for a rto6613 to fit a np271F? probably the 6.0 spline count one would be largest 36 I think. I would love a 13speed in the f550

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
mj - The RTO6613 has a different auxiliary transmission (the 5 speed front box is the same) so I'm not sure what all you would need to do. In comparing parts diagrams, the output shafts are different and are held in by different types of bearings. An the shaft is only half the battle - you also need an adapter/mount to attach the transfer case to the transmission. Hard to give a price on what I think it would cost.

Cj

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Time flies... I have finally made some more progress. This is a larger pulley and will fit an automotive belt. I tig-ed this together with "ezweld." The test pieces seemed to hold well and the metal broke before the weld did.
Gas Metal Wood stain Circle Household hardware

Attached to the truck.
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Machine Automotive engine timing part

Test fit the air compressor and bent the A/C line out of the way in order to clear the pump pulley. I will need to the cut the welds on the base (only tacked) and move it forward 3/16ths of an inch to get the pulleys to line up.
In the meantime I also got a little sidetracked... A local fellow was selling this:
Circuit component Finger Green Electronic component Passive circuit component

And installed in the PCM.
Cable Wire Plywood Electrical supply Electronics accessory

Seems to work as I can change programs and the truck responds accordingly. For the moment I'll just use PHP's tunes as the injectors and turbo are still stock. Eventually.....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Looking good!
Forgive my ignorance, but what is ezweld? It sounds like it should come in a tube, but obviously not.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
7,521 Posts
Awesome man, looking great.

Curious about ezweld also!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Native Californian
605 Posts
Great thread....following along. Just don't do like @Lt.Dan and tease us with OBS mods whilst purchasing a 6.7 :ROFLMAO:

·
Project Shamu
3,177 Posts
😬

Judging by the picture, is ezweld just fusing with the tig? (No filler rod)

121 - 140 of 162 Posts