Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This shows where the dual alt mount is and the second idler pulley I spoke about. I've also put a York on a 99+ 7.3 which was a little more involved, but is still do-able with a little work.
1994.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks for the layout info and part numbers.. You mention no belt driven vacuum pump.. Are you using an electric one or did you convert to a hydro brake booster?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So "At the time of your transmission I had already fired two torpedoes. You can probably hear them in the water." , unfortunately, Giddy-up was not in time to save me from swapping out alternator pulleys (Thanks! Giddy-up for the info - I'm looking at your ideas now as well) on Saturday afternoon. At first a just used a simple strap wrench and a breaker bar while trying to get the nut off - cause how hard could it be? Then opted for a pipe wrench and first a impact driver then a breaker bar as this %&**$ pulley needs to come off. Next it was the pipe wrench breaker bar and two 4 foot cheaters... and well at that point the pulley was slipping on the shaft/nut with no change in the tightness of the nut.
Chewed on.jpg
So I finally pulled the alternator out and got the shaft and nut nice and warm then took a can of that "spray air" and flipped it upside down and sprayed just the shaft with liquid "air", got the impact gun on quick and the nut came right off...
Alt nut.jpg
Whew I was getting a bit nervous there (no spare vehicle to get to work in). Got everything reinstalled and:
Pully installed.jpg
And yes if you look close the belt has only 7 ribs on it as there is a pulley that is misaligned. Not sure if I have the right pulley on the water pump as there were two styles in 94/early 95. I have found cutting a rib off saves the rest of the belt. Someday I'll find a 8 rib water pump pulley to compare with. Next I moved the wiring around and a few hoses to test fit the York. Pretty tight...
York fitment.jpg York fit side.jpg

Also (well finally!) build a decent hitch for the trash hauler:
New hitch.jpg
As the rinky-dinky original was just not cutting it - it has folded once and been repaired, but I have never trusted the trailer since:
IMG_20200411_111605704.jpg

Cj

PS. the quote is from "Up Periscope."

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
The factory harness will work, it just needs to be rerouted. Otherwise that link is correct.
Do you still have room for your air to air pipe with the york there?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks for confirming... Not sure yet on the air to air... had a storm coming in (it started to rain hard right after the pictures) so I pulled the York out and closed the hood. I hope to put it back in tonight to have a closer look at the other parts that need to fit. I will have to build a new longer power cable to the starter, but I need to do that anyway. Also may have to slide the degas bottle closer to the fender...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ok... so there is a new option out there.... Someone in my neck of the woods is selling a VMAC air compressor system that appears to be complete for $300 Washingtons... I'd still have to come up with a system to mount the thing as it came out of a GMC. Anyone have any experience with the VMAC systems?

Cj

·
PSN intsigator
6,750 Posts
They are bad azz, if it is the positive displacement screw type one. And $300 would be a steal for that

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,750 Posts
Looks like it, but the one in the welding truck was a durge and only put my eyes on it once

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Heavy,

Got looking through the manuals for the VMAC and the maintenance schedule.... I may have to let this one pass as cool as it would be to have the VMAC air system.

Cj

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So a Ben Franklin later... and I had all this...
Intercooler.jpg
Poor wife, little does she know... :LOL: I have been holding off on the compressor upgrade as I wanted to see how it would all fit together. Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to start putting the parts in place.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well.... coming in to work this morning and the water pump decides to give up the ghost... What are the latest recommendations on coolants for a 97 7.3? Stick with the green stuff and an SCA additive or go with a diesel ELC of some type?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I dunno about latest, you know I'm fairly outdated. I'm running green low silicate, mixed for -40*, with Napa Kool additive.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Another random question... has anyone out there put a 2001 coolant overflow/degas under the hood of a 97? I'd like to create a little more room where the current overflow/degas bottle is to mount an air compressor.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Random thought for a random question. Have you considered installing a radiator from an IDI / early Powerstroke and getting rid of the plastic tank completely?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I haven't. Not a bad idea. Looks like the mounts are a bit different, I'll have to do some research.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you go that route, I suggest an aluminum aftermarket. The stock soldered tank radiators were not super durable.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Well made it home - took 6 gallons of water on the way (15 miles). Looks like the older radiators had the top hose coming in on the passenger side of the radiator. Rockauto has the older model aluminum-plastic radiator that has the pressure cap on the top. Inlet and outlets are on different sides though.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts