Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have the feeling I should be posing next to this with a weapon in my hand.

Or a 6' breaker bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Jax,

You won't have to worry about me... I like my RTO6610 just fine.

Cj

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have the feeling I should be posing next to this with a weapon in my hand.

Or a 6' breaker bar.
Jax,

You won't have to worry about me... I like my RTO6610 just fine.

Cj
:D

Actually, I meant that it looks like the people that string up their deer after shooting it. But You Rock! (y)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hey, @cjfisher

You know how inside the engine compartment there is the "mat" covered in silver foil that is stuck on the firewall? Well, mine looks like poo . . . Any idea where to get some? Or the name thereof, so I can search for it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok... I finally made some progress on this (yes, warmer weather has helped)... Not to mention I'm getting tired of filling the air tank every couple of days. I think I can shoehorn the compressor into this space..

I found an old v-belt pulley while cleaning out my garage so I turned the bore out to allow a socket to fit. Then added a lip to help center the new alternator. Sorry picture is a little fuzzy...

I also put the spider belt pulley on the late to clean up the edge I would be mating and welding to the v-belt pulley.

Not bad for my third ever try at Tig welding. Lets hope it stays together. The aluminum thing at the top is the mandrel I made to hold the alternator pulley while I cleaned it up.

Cj

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Looking good CJ, glad you are making some progress!

For the space you are considering, are you going to use Vaseline and feeler gauges to get it in there? ( Just funnin. I have faith you will make it fit.)

Did you solve the pressure control puzzle yet? Or am I getting ahead of the game out of excitement and curiosity? If you want pics of how mine is done, just ask. May take a day or two.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Blue,

Pressure control puzzle? As in turning the compressor on and off? I have a pressure switch on the tank that I'll tie into. I'm open to suggestions (though as I have welded the pulley on now, I'll continue on with the current path for the moment) that don't require a square hole in the hood (a blower yes, a compressor really doesn't have the same appeal ;))...

Cj

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Blue,

Current plan is to get compressor installed, run a foot and a half of braided high temp line (to help with cooling the air) to a water/oil separator. Run it for a bit then, depending on how much water I see I may plumb the bottom of the bowl back into the compressor crankcase to return the oil. From there I'll just run a half inch poly (or nylon) tubing down to the tank which I plan to locate under the bed of the truck.

Cj

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
All sounds good, except for the plumbing the oil separator into the crankcase. You're going to get water, any is too much in the compressor, oil, and carbon out of it.

The way mine is done, the compressor is plumbed into a small tank, that acts as a wet tank, then on to the main tank. Works pretty well, and no parts to fail.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I was planning on placing a blow off solenoid on the bottom of the tank that fires once for a few seconds each time I start the truck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Personally, I've had nothing but trouble with those. Especially in prolonged cold and wet. I like the thought, just in practical instances haven't had much success. Maybe, hopefully, your luck is better than mine!

Most truck systems use a primary, or wet tank, which catches most of the oil and moisture, assuming an air dryer is not used, so it goes compressor-discharge line-check valve-primary tank-line-check valve-secondary tank.

If you do use the blow off, I suggest leaving a fitting at the beginning of the discharge line easy to access, or installing a T or something, to make it easier to put air brake alchohol in.

Just some thoughts, I know you are fully capable, and I'm really on board with the whole project!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Interesting... Having not done any work on commercial trucks I'm not familiar at all with their air systems. I would think even with the system you have described that some water will get into the primary tank... especially without an air dryer. I would think the big trucks would have blowoffs to help keep the wet tank (especially) and primary tank cleared out as well?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Most do. Sort of. Moisture is still a problem.

Beginning in the late 70's, or thereabouts, the industry started moving from the standard driver draining the tanks every day, too blow offs, as you were considering. It came along with the antilock brake systems being introduced, with their complex and finicky valves. The blow offs are a major leak point, and prone to ice.

In the mid 80's air dryers became a thing. A common air dryer is a big desiccant filter, with a check valve, and a purge valve (blow off), and a heating element to keep the blow off from icing up. These are a maintenance nightmare in my opinion. When properly maintained they function well, but rarely do they see maintenance in the real world.

Responsible drivers still drain their air tanks daily.

Also consider, you aren't constantly running an air suspension, air brakes, air ride cab, seat, wipers and so forth. So your system won't be processing the volume of a truck system.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Just a quick update... Making very slow progress on adding engine driven onboard air... in the mean time I scored a spyder for 10 bucks. Unfortunately I was too late to grab the intercooler which the fellow had already sold.

And a PacBrake that had a frozen butterfly valve for $50. Which I have managed to free. Just need to clean it up and install it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With some minor work you can relocate the alt (with factory brackets), and mount the york in it's place. Mines been going for 2+ years now. It uses the factory belt for the dual alt pickups. Also it gives you more room for the intercooler piping.
20200311_120757.jpg
20200311_120801.jpg
20200311_121612.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also for your moisture and oil in the air, Bendix ad-sp dryers are very compact and will easily fit on the side of the frame. But draining the 10 gal tank occasionally, has worked so far for the system pictured. My new one will have and air dryer though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Giddy-Up,

Hmmm.... So from your pics I'd guess you have an OBS. It looks like you have added a few items from the 99 and on engine as I see the oil fill cap. Looks like you have also gotten rid of the EBP valve. So I have to ask... were did you stuff the alternator in? Down below its original mount? Do you have any pictures of the bracket you made for the York? Or for the alternator. I think the tank I have at the moment is a 2.5 gallon. I be curious to know the specs on your tank as well.

Thanks!

Cj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Giddy-Up,

Hmmm.... So from your pics I'd guess you have an OBS. Correct, 1995 F-350 CCLB Dually 4x4 ZF6 E-fuel Air ride

It looks like you have added a few items from the 99 and on engine as I see the oil fill cap. The oil fill riser just screws on the valve cover in place of the oil cap.

Looks like you have also gotten rid of the EBP valve. Yes, it has the deleted pedestal and outlet.

So I have to ask... were did you stuff the alternator in? Down below its original mount? It's mounted down below where the dual alt motors would have their secondary mounted.

Do you have any pictures of the bracket you made for the York? Or for the alternator. The York mount is simply a 1/4" plate with 2 sets of holes. One set matches the side of the York, the other matches the bolt pattern of the factory 99+ ac compressor. It bolts flat to the York and has 3/8" spacers on the motor side to give clearance for the bolts heads.
The hardest part is getting the belt to fit, since the longest 8 rib produced is for the dual alt 7.3 (Dayco #5081373). The drivers side acc. bracket is the factory 95 mount with the vacuum pump removed. Water pump pulley was swapped to the 99+ version which is ~3/8" smaller diameter(Dorman #300-941). The passenger side acc. bracket is the 99+ mount (99+ tensioner) with the dual alt bracket below it. Also the idler pulley by the hpop reservoir as well as the one on the dual alt bracket are 90mm. They need to be switched out with 76mm pulleys which are factory replacements for the tensioner (Dayco #89016).

I think the tank I have at the moment is a 2.5 gallon. I be curious to know the specs on your tank as well. The air tank is off of an old Peterbilt, about 10 gal, mounted on the drivers side frame. I used to fill it with a Viair compressor until it wore out after about 1 year.

Thanks!

Cj

61 - 80 of 121 Posts