Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So CJ, just woke out of a sound sleep with a crazy idea. How about scrapping the air shift idea, and making it cable shift, or better yet, cable to a lever for better mechanical advantage?

I've got a rough idea of how one might attack that should you be interested, with your machine tools it should be fairly simple.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Blue,

Wow... didn't mean to keep you up at night :wink:. I'd love to hear your ideas.. I can guess at some of it. I must admit, though, having onboard air has been helpful.. When I picked up the forklift I used the air system to fill up the 2 rear tires which were flat flat!.

Cj

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you were to pull the 4 bolt cover off the air cylinder on the back of the transmission, you would see the piston, and the nut that holds it on the shift fork. The idea was to make or modify a nut, that holds the piston and accepts the male end of a PTO cable. Then modify the cover for clearance, and thread the hole to hold the cable housing. Then the other end of the cable is up to you, wether you want a clevis to attach to a lever, or just a PTO handle mounted somewhere. Of course this all assumes it would clear your transfer case.

On the compressor note, @longjonsilver is right, and thought the two of you would find this link interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/i/113941193719?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=113941193719&targetid=596465995828&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9013599&poi=&campaignid=6470474827&mkgroupid=83197473768&rlsatarget=pla-596465995828&abcId=1140476&merchantid=113748589&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKGMzbrl5gIV7x-tBh2kZwpZEAQYAyABEgJmhfD_BwE

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My coworker has an old York (he thinks) A/C compressor stashed somewhere that he'll give me. Once I have that in hand I'll see about ordering a pulley off the website Blue linked. Then I'll start in on devising and making a mount for it.

Cj

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok... So here it is. Compressor has a Motorcraft name plate.. but it looks like a York. My guess it is a rebrand. Current thought is to swap the pump in for the lower idler pulley on the passenger side of the engine. Space is tight for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That's quite a find, I can't tell if the bracket is FE or early 460, but those are getting kinda scarce. Was probably part of a dealer installed kit.

Also, I would recommend making a provision for changing the oil in the compressor, and a way to check level periodically.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Blue,

That is what I thought! The bearing on the idler pulley is frozen. The pump was really stiff when I first put a wrench on it. It spins reasonably freely now. I will probably tear it down, clean it and inspect it closely before it get put back together. I agree on the oil level and drain.

Blue or LongJon - do you know if these pumps can run either direction?

Cj

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well so much for the York from my coworker... I think it is probably dead. However, I found a 9.3ci York that seems to move air even at a slow speed. The smaller York has more convenient fittings for hook up too. Blue - you are right - the Yorks don't care which direction they spin. Found this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/york_compressor.shtml Has a nice little write up on how to determine what size/kind of York you may have.

Cj

Gahhh... posting pictures here is enough to drive one crazy... I sure hope the upcoming format change makes picture posting easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
LongJohn,

I'll keep that in mind... I still need to pull the pistons to see what shape the bores are in.. What I could see of the cylinder walls did not inspire much confidence. Do you have a source for rebuild kits?

Cj

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That write up you linked was a nice one.

Looks like you are making progress.....

Just for grins, this compressor was $230.00, no clutch. Local supplier, so you are saving money!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I wish you could post pictures like that with just a web browser... I'm surprised to see the Made in America. Nice to see something is still made here. I probably will need to order a pulley though... I found one guy that added a special v-belt pulley to the front of his alternator pulley to drive the York.. I'm thinking that that may be the way to go: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYlz27KWn6g
Then I won't need to figure out a new spider belt for the truck.

Cj

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That's good thinking, also removes the chance of the clutch locking up and stranding the truck. Or wadding up the 8' belt.

Forgot to add in the last post, the clutch I had to buy was $145. For reference. But it's a special deal for a big single v belt. If you buy one should be cheaper.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Project Jumbo... Sound deadening?

... I’m also considering added some additional sound deadening materials to the cab to reduce the noise...
Did you add the sound deadening materials? If so, what were they and from where did you get them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Jax,

I haven't yet... the place I wanted to get the materials from closed its doors before I could purchase. The website is still up (at least for another couple of weeks) www.sounddeadenershowdown.com . I'm trying to copy some of the info off the pages before they go away. Then I'll look for a new place to source the various materials.

UPDate:

Just talked with my brother who has done some sound deadening stuff... He sent me this link: https://www.secondskinaudio.com/shop/ This place is actually local to me. I'll have to look at them a bit more.

Cj

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I used the Showdown website as a guide when I did my Excursion's interior. I wanted sound deadening, but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. For example, traditional car audio folks advocate for literally covering the entire inside with deadener, whereas the showroom folks showed, through testing, that 25% coverage (on average) was adequate for most installations, and the addition of more wasn't very effective. Anyway, if you're interested, my thread is HERE . One of the products, the MLV, I used is no longer available, but there is still a cost effective alternative out there. There's nothing wrong with the Luxury Liner that place you linked to sells, except that you're paying for the brand name. A decent alternative is from Acoustimass. Same density per square-foot, same size and material, cheaper price. Here's a decent price.

One thing I have learned since then is if you're really trying to go the extra mile, you can fill the empty spaces with denim insulation. We're talking about the bracing inside your truck....like across the roof, inside the A pillars, etc. Some people like to use expanding foam because it fills the gap easier, but that can wind up expanding too much and may push out the panels. Instead, some folks have now been stuffing those same spaces with denim insulation. It's tough, and you have to pack it pretty tight, but it's much more effective than the foam. Also, if you have panels with lots of air space behind them, the denim helps with that resonant noise as well if you put it behind there. Doesn't have to be packed in tight, just filled.

There's more that I have done simply for my audio system, but the stuff in that thread, and the denim, have by far been the most effective.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts