Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F250, 7.3/E4OD/92 F350 D60/Sterling
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You have a good plan and path. Stick with it. You have covered most bases when dealing with 7.3 issues. We are here to help if you need it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I appreciate it. I just have to get some time with nice weather on a weekend to get the injectors back in. Of course I need to get the oil out of the cylinders before I can crank it up again.

I also have a Jeep trip planned soon so I'm focusing on making sure I'm ready for that.

This is going to be slow going but I'll get there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Back from Moab and I have some free time. Rebuilt the turbo. The DSPO (Dip "Stick" Previous Owner) had used RTV on the compressor housing instead of an O-ring. The compressor wheel was pretty chewed up. But it's back together and ready for another 300K miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good progress today. Got oil cleaned out of the cylinders, installed the injectors, purged any remaining oil out of the cylinders, then ran a compression test.

Mostly got 300 to 360 psi except for one cylinder. #4 is giving me 120.

A little more testing and I figured out it was hissing back through the intake valve, right in time with the intake valve closing, during the compression stroke.

So at this point the head has to come off. And as long as I'm there I'll probably do the other one as well. I'll break out the dial bore gauge and check the taper in the cylinders. Once I get that all figured out I will be able to form a plan of attack. Maybe just rebuild the heads, maybe throw in a reman long block, maybe just punt and find another truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got the head off finally. The cylinder walls look pretty good all around. Nothing obvious going on in the head.

I'm probably going to pull the other head and take them to a shop. See what they have to say.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Car

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,813 Posts
Yea, hopefully not a cylinder/piston ring issue. Pulling those heads can be quite a process due to how darn heavy they are, at least without a cherry picker that is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yea, hopefully not a cylinder/piston ring issue. Pulling those heads can be quite a process due to how darn heavy they are, at least without a cherry picker that is.
Yeah, I didn't even try to pull the head without the cherry picker. I'm going to look at what it takes to get the other head off. I'll probably have to pull the heater box. Which is alright because I need to swap out the dash pad and reseal the AC system (that was completely empty anyway) so It'll be part of everything else I'm doing to recondition the truck.

Once I get the other head off, I'll run them to a machine shop and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So after a bit of contemplation and a good budget plan, I decided just to pull the whole engine and get it rebuilt. Start fresh with a new long block. I got everything mostly done to pull the engine this last weekend and will complete the task next weekend if the weather holds. I just have to find a good shop to rebuild the engine in the Denver area or find a good place that will ship a quality reman long block. I'll do that research this week.

In the mean time, I have a good Dana 60 to recondition and get swapped under the truck in place of the TTB50 that it has now.. It has 4.10s to match my existing gears so that saves me a bit. And I was able to get it with all of the extra bits like the ubolt plate that fits the rib on the pumpkin, along with the spring plates with the shock mounts. So I'm going to rebuild the axle with new parts (ball joints, u-joints, seals, brakes, wheel bearings, etc) and get that swapped underneath.

I'm also planning on gutting the rest of the engine bay and doing a serious clean/repaint. No better time while it's 90% there already. But while I have that apart, I'm going to look at doing a conversion to hydroboost brakes. Since this will serve duty as a tow rig, it can't hurt to have good braking all around.

Between all that and pulling parts out of the donor rig to pretty up my tow rig, I should end up with a pretty nice truck come this next spring/summer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And as I read the thread on doing a TTB50 to straight 60 swap, it appears that getting at some of the TTB hardware will be easier with no engine in the way. Same with getting the track bar bracket on. So I've got that going for me...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I ordered the first set of parts and it was a significant hit to the wallet. And that's just for reconditioning the front end before I swap it in. This whole project is going to cost me in the end as much as it would have cost to buy a good condition truck. All in, I'll be somewhere near $15-20K when I'm done.

But when I'm done, the entire drivetrain will be rebuilt from the fan clutch to the rear diff. I'll have a Dana 60 up front. I'll have good condition sheet metal. I'll have a refreshed interior.

But more importantly, I'll know that just about every single wear item will have been replaced/refreshed. It will be almost like having a brand new truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Your not alone in the overspend on a old truck, but they are sure are better than a new one
Well, I looked at a few options. A new truck is way more money. By far. No contest. Sure, it has way more capacity than a 97 but I'm just towing 8-10K pounds over a mountain pass once in a while. So the money on the new truck would be a waste.

I could buy an old "good running" truck for $10K+ However, those trucks are hit and miss when it comes to what's shot and what's not. I'd likely dump another $10K into it getting it back to "near new" condition.

I bought this one for dirt cheap. It wasn't running right and had trouble even starting. I knew that basically everything was nearly worn out or worse. Dumping $15K into it still leaves me well under $20K. And that's perfect for a part time tow rig.

Besides, the OBS trucks just look better than the new trucks.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm partial to first gens myself, and my 325 hp will tow anything. Been talking to some people and it seems like the 17+ are weaker built

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So the engine is out. It may be a bit much for my Comanche with low tires...
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Car

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nice weather yesterday so I pulled the TTB out. That job is quite a bit easier when the engine isn't in the way.

The Dana 60 is waiting for some seals. Turns out I ordered the wrong ones. But as soon as those show up I'll be able to install it and it'll be ready when I get the reman engine in.
Motor vehicle Yellow Road surface Automotive tire Toy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you ever want to build a trophy truck i hear those ttbs are great when paired with coils/3 or 4 links.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have too many projects as it is and a long line of "when these projects are done".

I have it up for sale locally. I figure someone will want it. I might put it up in the classifieds here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Got some progress on the donor Dana 60. It took a bit to get the spindles out to get it apart. But it's been cleaned up and new seals are in there now. The bearings looked good so I didn't replace them. I have to finish cleaning up the knuckles but they have new ball joints. And then I still need to get the axle shaf u-joints. But it should be under the truck by new years.
Wood Automotive tire Shotgun Gas Tool

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Now that my big Jeep event is done and the weather is getting nicer it's time to get back to work on the truck. First step is to get the 60 under it. I figured it was easier to move it around mostly empty so I got the housing in place. I'll be spending the afternoon assembling the outers and getting it back on its tires.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Vehicle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Mostly back together. Just have to attach brake lines and steering. Oh, and getting the track bar bracket painted and installed. I'm also going to look into upgrading to F350 hydroboost while the engine is out of the way.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 61 Posts