Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Harpoon mod was super easy. Couldn’t find where anyone said what size the filler inlet pipe is so took a chance and bought a $12 pvc cutter capable to 1 5/8” and it worked slick. Tube sections removed were a good 4-5”.
Hired a local fabrication shop to make the rear tank strap from 3” wide 1/8” mild steel. These are his pictures:

So the plan was to reuse the factory mounting locations... except he misunderstood which sidehad which ends. Brief phone conversation and a picture of the tank in the truck got him to fix the strap.

Turned out just as I envisioned it. Don’t have the tools or the space for said tools to do this properly myself. The design was to be a snug fit on the uprights to keep the tank away from the sway bar bolt and the drive shaft. Now if it’ll stop raining, test fit and build the spacer for the front...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
where is the obd2 connector on the truck?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Here’s more of the fluids on the drivetrain

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
More e-fuel progress today

that bowl has leaked its last drop on my engine!

Going to get a new harness section for the IPR since it’s fuel soaked. Which wire off the fuel bowl was for the heater?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So some progress with a little thought behind it....
Today after work I grabbed a long 2x4 to get some quick and rough measurements. I remember seeing another thread where someone used square tubing to create the spacer for the front of the tank.
Turns out that the bottom of the front cross member that the tank mounts to is about 1” lower than the rear and the tank is 5” taller in the rear.
So 2” square tubing would work perfectly. Stack the widthwise piece on the lengthwise pieces and weld in place. Weld the mounting bolts on the inside of the tubing before taking to powder coat.
Then use a piece of cardboard to make a template for the new front strap.

Reactions: BBslider001

·
Native Californian
413 Posts
Nice work....following along.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So test fit for front strap template went perfectly! Made the cardboard template with the tank on the ground and marked everything with a sharpie
Plan is to use nutserts in the top of the square tubing and have the new front strap wrap around just like the white skid plate retaining strap.
Now for mounting the bracket... was thinking about welding the bolts on the top of the tubing to create a duplicatable spacer to clear the hump in the crossmember where it angles down. Also this would allow for height adjustment if needed. Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Been reading through some old threads here since the water pump is leaking and found out the international water pump was made by Geomar. Well they were bought/merged with another company and still sell the pump.
Considering switching to a 180* thermostat when I do the install. Should increase efficiency of all the coolers. Why should the engine run that hot?

·
PSN intsigator
6,857 Posts
180 aint that hot and international says 203* is the optimal temp for these engines

·
Native Californian
413 Posts
180 aint that hot and international says 203* is the optimal temp for these engines
I disagree if you tow heavy. I have run a 180* for years now, mainly due to oil temps. It makes a big difference when you tow heavy (10k or more).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,857 Posts
My 5th wheel was around 18k and got pulled all over this country with my 96 and a 203* tstat with no problems. Mainly in the SW. Cali to Texas. But to each there own. Everyone's truck is setup different and what works for one won't work for another

Reactions: BBslider001
41 - 53 of 53 Posts