Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I’ll get a thread going so I can consolidate all my various projects on the truck. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes, and I can eventually learn something.

A bit of background on my truck;

This was the day I bought it. The gentleman I bought it from, to put it kindly, knew nothing about the truck other than “7.3, truck white, is 4 wheel drive”. I thought a knew something

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

First trip pulling a trailer with it. Despite the learning curve, I was honestly fairly disappointed in the trucks performance. I’ve been running Chevy gas burners my whole life, and you just spin those up to 3500 rpm and let them eat.

I also had no clue just how gawd awfully this truck had been maintained. 2-4 hot side leaks, a crappy “built transmission”, a superchip chip (that I didn’t know was on it), and various other things. It was an unhappy vehicle. But it got me home.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle

Cont’d after this.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

The rats nest that was this truck’s under dash. It’s significantly better now.

Cloud Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Getting ready for a miserable trip here. This is where I discovered the truck couldn’t build boost in OD… or even in 3rd. I hauled this rig 800 miles, and I hated every second of it. This is when my rapid education began.

Bottle Automotive tire Wood Tool Gas

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Grey Bumper

Gas Engineering Wood Machine Composite material

My first major repair. Helluva change in pace to go from Chevy gassers to here I can get in the engine bay and have a tea party to working in the back of the engine by braille.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asphalt Office supplies Road surface Font Gas

I’m funny sometimes. Not just when I look in the mirror.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

During Snowpocalypse mk3 last year. In each of those photos I’ve got better than 4000 lbs in the bed. (Top has 60 protein blocks in the bottom). Truck did good here. As a rule it was firing up at 7AM and wasn’t cut off until 7pm every day.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

This was a big day. First day really pulling after returning the truck back to stock. Hadn’t killed all my leaks, but the truck pulled well this day. Kind of a turning point. Up until this point if someone would have offered me what I paid for it, I would have taken the money and ran. And likely never touched another ford again.

Contd.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

When I was fixing the in tank screens. Might of gotten pulled over my a trooper with the truck in bottom trim. While on a state road. While going 90…. Alls fair on a test drive. Right?

Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Speedometer
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive lighting Hood

Gauge install. All of a sudden wiring just ain’t that scary.

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car

Took truck on vacation again. Now it’s got a non leaking turbo set up, a fuel system that works and a solid set of tunes. Pulled that camper at whatever speed I asked. Hills didn’t matter, head winds didn’t matter… just mash that throttle and buddy here we go. I was so estatic with how the truck pulled.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Random dozer picture. Pre RV pic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

So I don’t know what happened, or when the actual damage occurred, but truck ate it’s transmission. It went from 4 forward gears and a reverse, to 3 forward gears… one of which used to be reverse.

Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood

shipping out old trans. Mom hauled it to N Arkansas for me, with the expectation of no fluid getting on her car.

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood

Old trans north bound.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive exterior

New trans arrival from BTS.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Car

Me and the BTS. Yes, I am capable of lifting that transmission from her car to my truck. Yes I did it alone. No, it is not advised.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Only good pic from the install. Physics won the day. It’s only sketchy because you can’t see the vector diagram I drew in the driveway. No fingers or toes were sacrificed to the Dino diesel gods.

Current set up is Jelibuilt tunes on a PHP Hydra with BTS trans, Mishimoto trans cooler, Wicked wheel…. And…

That’s basically the high points. Lots of details along the way, which have been lost in the fabric of time. Upcoming projects include:

new rear pinion yoke
Clearance cab lights
Improving headlights
Improving back up lights
I’m dropping it back down off the leveling kit some
Rewiring a few things I did when I didn’t know how to wire things right.
New (bigger) turbo is on the table.
Im chasing an injector pro

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh! I neglected to mention my most recent project.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

It is, in fact, possible to fit a 285/75r16 spare tire in stock location and a 5” exhaust under this truck. It takes some wiggling and some exhaust wrap… but I got er done.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Engineering
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Aircraft Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Saw Wood Tool Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle brake Automotive tire Vehicle

Haven't done much to truck recently. Been running like a champ.

I decided to lower it down closer to stock height this weekend. I was originally gonna go up to a 35 for no reason but my vanity.

But I really think I’m gonna need a regear for me to be happy with 35s and I’ve set my eyes on another diesel project. I guess today marks my return to grandpa truck 😂😂😂

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive tire

Table Furniture Wood Building Rectangle

Doing a bit of Cardboard aided design tonight. I’ve got clearance lights in the mail, but need to measure out how to punch the holes in the roof.

I decided to take 15 minutes to take a bunch of measurements to mock up the front foot of the roof, so I can do most of the tedious work in the comfort of my house, which is air conditioned. As opposed to the outside which is hot as hell.

Seeing as I can’t find my box cutter, I guess the pencil work is the end of what I’m doing tonight.

·
Native Californian
643 Posts
Nice revival dude! What part of Texas? We are N Central-ish. If you haven't done cab lights yet, they do sell a template on Ebay that is much eaiser than all the measuring.

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice revival dude! What part of Texas? We are N Central-ish. If you haven't done cab lights yet, they do sell a template on Ebay that is much eaiser than all the measuring.
Thanks! It’s been a learning experience. Really happy with what I have now.

I’m live San Angelo. I work between Angelo and I10.

Thanks for the pointer. I’ve had 2 false starts. Couldn’t get the home made template to work, something is off with it, but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Then I went to do it all with a tape measure, but my help got drunk and I got very hot. Hard to do much when it’s 105-108 in my driveway when I get home, and I’ve already put in a full day in it.

I’ll find the template, it’ll make life easy.

·
Native Californian
643 Posts
Thanks! It’s been a learning experience. Really happy with what I have now.

I’m live San Angelo. I work between Angelo and I10.

Thanks for the pointer. I’ve had 2 false starts. Couldn’t get the home made template to work, something is off with it, but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Then I went to do it all with a tape measure, but my help got drunk and I got very hot. Hard to do much when it’s 105-108 in my driveway when I get home, and I’ve already put in a full day in it.

I’ll find the template, it’ll make life easy.
Hell yeah it's hot!! I am pretty disciplined, but I struggle getting out in this heat as well and I am outside about half the time at my job. It makes for a long day for sure. I'll see if I can find the link to the template.

·
Native Californian
643 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finishing a job on Thursday so hopefully I’ll get some time on Friday to do the stuff I have que-d up for truck.

Still havent received new HPOP, so turbo work is gonna wait. Just got the parts for the turbo yesterday.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Material property Automotive exterior

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got confirmation that my HPOP and lines have shipped. So, I guess I need to get cracking on engine bay stuff very soon.

I got the Cab light Template in the mail, its going to make things way easier, just havent had the time to monkey with it recently.

Also have all new Headlight Housings, a Grille guard to reinstall and fog lights to install.

Lordy, its going to be a full weekend of work to get it done.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my turbo and HPOP pulled. Between trying to buy a house and hustling up work and 12,000 other things truck upgrades had kinda fallen by the wayside. I tore the turbo all the way down and rebuilt it with a KC turbo 360° kit. Good instructions and went together really easy. Put a 1.0 AR exhaust housing on as well. My turbo had a lot more in and out slop than I thought it would. I’d kinda suggest to anyone with a 200k+ mile turbo in their truck, if you have it out, just rebuild it. Kit is like $80.

Also got a CNC Fab Stage 2 installed, along with their high pressure oil lines with crossover. Went together really easy. I didn’t get some fitting as tight as it should be seeing as I have an oil leak and long starts right now, but that’s an easy fix as soon as I find it. The pump definitely cured my ICP woes.

Between the two I’ve got less smoke output at WOT. In my eco tune, Truck made like 22 lbs of boost on the smaller exhaust housing with ICP hovering around 2100. Now with the larger exhaust housing it’s making about 25 lbs with ICP at 2950-3100.

Haven’t put it on an angrier tune yet. That’ll come when I get the line tighter.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine tool Auto part
Gear Bicycle part Auto part Gas Engineering
Auto part Gas Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Native Californian
643 Posts
If HPOP is still out, just take out the check valve springs. Same effect and less leak points to worry about. The X-over lien is a topic of debate and no real benefit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately I didn’t find out about that until after I bought the line. And I already spent the money so it went on the truck.

I pitched the plugs in the bag o parts I keep in my glove box.

All in all, the drivability was what was effected most by the pump and turbo mods. I’m really thinking my old bearings in my turbo were more worn than I thought. Despite a bigger exhaust housing the turbo lights up faster.

It’s really nice when you go to pass or whatever. Just lean on it and off you go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts