Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I've been working on this project over the past month. I have been posting day to day progress on PSA Forums, but wanted to spread the news here on The Nation.

The truck is currently not running since I blew the FICM 30 seconds before I was about to fire it up and take it for another test drive. I am still resolving some air/exhaust leaks. The last photo shows the new FICM mount location so I do not arc it against the battery again and blow another $550. Today I am going to fab a mount to hold a temporary actuator for the small turbo's VGT, the electronic version is still in development stages.

Test drive. At this point I had a massive oil leak from the drain tubes that desperately needed to be corrected.
6.0.4 hard acceleration w/o VGT - YouTube

Enjoy!

·
PSN Student
27 Posts
What kind of numbers are you looking at with this?? like HP, Boost, EGT, all that good stuff

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with stock injectors, I am not looking for a huge gain. I am thinking 30-50HP, but most importantly is a smoother powerband across the RPM's. EGT's are well in check as of my last test drive which the VGT veins were fixed open. I don't have exact numbers just yet since I have not had a whole lot of time to drive and observe. If possible I would love to see boost numbers like the 6.4 makes with these turbo's, 50+lbs.

Shortly down the road I will be modifying a set of injectors for 190CC's to see how they pair with the turbo's (first the VGT control needs to be perfected).

·
Registered
9 Posts
subscribed. really looking forward to see how it turns out. keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool build. Definitely something i would do if it had the time or money lol
Matthew,
You and I are the reason I did this build. I wanted a cheep set of compounds worthy of producing a decent power gain. With all the proven results of what a (unleashed) 6.4 can make with these turbo's, and they are readily available for cheap, it seemed like a no brain-er. I am not a fancy fabricator, I've never touched a TIG welder before this, I'm not an auto/diesel mechanic, just a carpenter by trade.

My goal was to open a door for people who wanted to upgrade their turbo for more power, at an affordable cost. I still need to do a final tally on how much $$ I have out into this project, but it is most likely less than $3500. Best part is that a lot of these parts are stock 6.4, which I obtained these parts over the span of a year.

I just got my Swamps rebuilt FICM today and plan to finish the new FICM mount tonight, maybe some more video's to come tomorrow!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Really cool build. Congrats on your progress, I'm sure there were a lot of nay sayers, telling you it can't be done.
Great job, keep it up.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had this idea back when I had my 6.0 , I think it's a kick ass idea.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Guys, I've been working on this project over the past month. I have been posting day to day progress on PSA Forums, but wanted to spread the news here on The Nation.

The truck is currently not running since I blew the FICM 30 seconds before I was about to fire it up and take it for another test drive. I am still resolving some air/exhaust leaks. The last photo shows the new FICM mount location so I do not arc it against the battery again and blow another $550. Today I am going to fab a mount to hold a temporary actuator for the small turbo's VGT, the electronic version is still in development stages.
Dang nice can't wait to see the finished end result. So the video is without the VGT on? was the truck tuned or on a stock tune in the video?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Current tuning is just the canned SCT Performance tune. No VGT yet, waiting for a couple back-ordered parts to temporarily complete that, while I work on a permanant electronic adaptor for the stock actuator.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sub'd. This sounds awesome. It'll probably sound great with a big exhaust. Wonder if it will keep that same whistle the 6.0 turbo had because its still VGT

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sub'd. This sounds awesome. It'll probably sound great with a big exhaust. Wonder if it will keep that same whistle the 6.0 turbo had because its still VGT
As is with the VGT veins wide open, it sounds very close to a 5.9 Cummins. That is with a 4" down pipe and single 6" stack. Manually moving the VGT veins it is a confused mix between a 5.9 Cummins, 6.0, and 6.4 Powerstroke. It will take some time for my ears to grow accustom to the new music these pipes make.

Here is the FICM in its new permanent location, safely away from harms way of the battery's positive terminal. Hopefully no stray baseballs or small meteors will find their way to that spot on the hood!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another angle of the new FICM location. Please spare the criticism of my welds. I am just learning how to TIG weld, they're all air tight at the least.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wont have any more driving video's till Tuesday. Have another leak from one of the turbo oil feed lines. Discovered it while recording this though. Not looking like I'll have it ready for the Dyno at this weekends XDP event, damn shame, but I wasn't expecting to be ready.
http://youtu.be/yeNVhJlq1X8

·
Registered
854 Posts
Do you have a parts list for this project it would be nice to see what it takes

1 - 20 of 64 Posts