Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Well I am in the millitary so money to spend on my truck is limited. but I am trying to make it better. I already have a 4" exaust. my next thing is an egr delet by the way my truck is acting and seeing how dirty the egr valve gets i figured its the best thing to do next. now I have an 06 f250 6.0L. and i am told once i delet the egr it will throw a code so i need to tune it. I do not have the money to get a tunner right now. my question is I have a freind with a bully dog flash tunner. is it ok to get him to flash a tune in the truck just untill i can get my own tunner? and if he puts the preformance tune on my truck but i keep my foot out of the pedal can i still get good milage? thanks for takeing the time to read this i know its long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
why will no one help me???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honestly what i would do is save for a sct if you dont have to do anything right now. I have learned that the bully dog is hard on the trucks. And if he puts it on your truck then he wont be able to put it back on his until he returns yours back to stock. I am sure some with more experience will chime in i am some what new to this too. I am repeating to you what i have been told. Hope this helps.

·
--------
551 Posts
Ok Well I am in the millitary so money to spend on my truck is limited. but I am trying to make it better. I already have a 4" exaust. my next thing is an egr delet by the way my truck is acting and seeing how dirty the egr valve gets i figured its the best thing to do next. now I have an 06 f250 6.0L. and i am told once i delet the egr it will throw a code so i need to tune it. I do not have the money to get a tunner right now. my question is I have a freind with a bully dog flash tunner. is it ok to get him to flash a tune in the truck just untill i can get my own tunner? and if he puts the preformance tune on my truck but i keep my foot out of the pedal can i still get good milage? thanks for takeing the time to read this i know its long.
A programmer can only be used on one vehicle at a time. The programmer has to download the OEM file onto the programmer before it can install its own program. The programmer can only store one OEM file at a time. If your friend isn't using his bully dog, you're in luck. If he has used it on his truck, it won't work on yours. Also, each program is coded for a specific ECU version and the chances that you and your friend have the same version are not very likely. So you would probably have to pay for a new program.

Feel better now?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wait wait wait.. "by the way your truck is acting"? How is it acting?

Rule number one, fix what is broke. If you can afford to make a repair an upgrade go fer-it. Once you get the truck running great in untuned, then drop a tune into it. A tune, even a custom one, will just compound your issues, and could lead to a serious melt down.

I ran a hypertech programmer for almost a year, but only ran it for about 1000 miles. I took it off, because burning my transmission up, wasnt worth the fuel mileage, or the little bit of added power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am pretty sure I have been having a Stiction issue. I have Rev-X on the way right now to help with that. but also what i have read about the problem is it can be cause by your oil being a bit dirty. and the egr system is known for making everything dirty to include your oil. so if i delete the EGR then everything stays cleaner and it might help fix the stiction issue.

·
professional slacker
632 Posts

I am pretty sure I have been having a Stiction issue. I have Rev-X on the way right now to help with that. but also what i have read about the problem is it can be cause by your oil being a bit dirty. and the egr system is known for making everything dirty to include your oil. so if i delete the EGR then everything stays cleaner and it might help fix the stiction issue.
You should get an egr delete but that has nothing to Do with your stiction issue , too many miles in between oil changes is likely your issue.
You can still drive it on the stock tune with the egr deleted.....it will just throw a Cel as long as you leave the valve plugged in.......I have read that with some of the newer ford programs it messes with the engine fan if you totally remove the valve while running it stock.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I have just shy of 3k on the oil I have in there now. I bought this truck used not to long ago and I think I am playing catch up on maintenance that the previous owner my have neglected. so dos the EGR not cause your oil to get dirty faster?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am planning on getting an sct tuner along with my delete kit. I have found a number of them on ebay. now I asked the seller if it was vin locked he said yes but the tuner still have 5 unlocks available. dos this sound right?? I thought to unlock it it had to be sent to SCT do they come with a number of times you can unlock them before you have to send them in?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nevermind I called SCT Tech suport and found the answers I need

1 - 12 of 12 Posts