Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got into it about 2 hours ago and backed it out of our garage and i let it idle for about 10 mins and then i drove it about a mile and parked it and shut it off, when i got out i could tell it was blowing white smoke. I had to hook the battery charger up to it to restart it cause both batterys are bad but i drove it about a 1/4 mile and it was blowing ALOT! Of white smoke. And when it idles it does the same thing. This realy sucks because it about 2 months out of warranty. It is a 2005 to. Any help is appreciated. When i drove it i couldnt tell if there were any codes cause the lights were way dim.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,318 Posts
Are you losing coolant or does the white smoke smell like diesel?

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Change batteries with good ones then try again. 6.0l don't like weak batteries.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you you use a dealership regularly you might be able to go talk to them see if they can help you out. It happens at the dealership my wife works at, they can submit some kind of after warrenty adjustment.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i started it the other day to tell if it was coolant or not and it smells like it is. There was also oil running out of the exhaust. What all is involved in changing the egr cooler and oil cooler. I did check the oil before i started it and it was normal

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there anyway that it could be the turbo that has went out.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
How far out of waranty is it? If it's close Ford should stand behind, I am shocked there has not been some kind of CA suit against them for selling so many of those POS EGR and Oil coolers. I would fight tooth and nail over that one. My buddy's bone stock 2006 F450 is on it's 4th EGR cooler at 130,000 miles, his truck weighs 11k and has never pulled a trailer.

That is BS

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How far out of waranty is it? If it's close Ford should stand behind, I am shocked there has not been some kind of CA suit against them for selling so many of those POS EGR and Oil coolers. I would fight tooth and nail over that one. My buddy's bone stock 2006 F450 is on it's 4th EGR cooler at 130,000 miles, his truck weighs 11k and has never pulled a trailer.

That is BS
it was over march 4th or 14th not for sure though. but its just blowing white smoke that smells like coolant and it has oil running out of the exhaust. idk whats wrong with it

·
Lookin for Operating Job
234 Posts
Did it get hot when it started blowin white smoke?? When my EGR cooler went out(the day after I bought it) the truck told me to check my tempature and it was about maxed out and went to pull over and noticed the bellowing of white smoke. So its a very a good possibility thats what it is.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,318 Posts
Did it get hot when it started blowin white smoke?? When my EGR cooler went out(the day after I bought it) the truck told me to check my tempature and it was about maxed out and went to pull over and noticed the bellowing of white smoke. So its a very a good possibility thats what it is.
Coolant mixed with exhaust soot will "look like" oil in the exhausts system.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Well i started it the other day to tell if it was coolant or not and it smells like it is. There was also oil running out of the exhaust. What all is involved in changing the egr cooler and oil cooler. I did check the oil before i started it and it was normal
If you are decently mechanicly inclined you could proably do it. The fan shroud,turbo,and intake manifold gotta come off egr cooler is the thing bolted to the bottom of your intake manifold. Oil cooler is right under the oil filter. Not too hard. Most aggravating part I think is getting the up pipes back lined up with the turbo and the egr cooler.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i think the fan shroud can stay in but there is two bolts that go threw the fan shroud and connect to the intake manifold that plastic flare peace above the fan shroud unclips so you have more wrenching room but be carefull it breaks real easy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts