Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently pulling a large trailer with a Case skid loader and IH tractor with a straw blower attached. I had my arm out the window when all of a sudden I felt something wet hitting it. I ended up being coolant from my truck. It looks have over flowed out of the overflow bottle. Ever since then, when I go to start my truck up in the morning, no matter what the outside temp. is, it does not want to start. It will crank over and idle for maybe half a second and then shut off. I have talked to my Ford Dealership and they said it was the head studs/gaskets (with out even running any tests or looking at the motor). I then talked to Eric at Innovative Diesel and he said it sounds like an injector or egr problem. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had this problem? Any help or advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long read.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
AS for the wet feeling outside your window, its what we call puking ! Exspecially since you have the SCT. its nothing I would be seriously worried about mine does it to but only when Im running it hard and since you were pulling some heavy it probably was causing it. As for the Head gasket it could be it, or even what Eric said but check around and see if your leaking anything.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know I am not leaking anything except the coolant when it pukes. I am now down to about two inches of coolant in the tank. But when the truck finally starts, it will blow white smoke out for a couple of minutes and sound really rough, like it is not getting enough fuel. Then when I am going down the road around 45 mph and the truck is in od, it will kind of stutter and buck a little bit, very slight but noticable.

*EDIT* Spelling > Me

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Try returning your truck back to the stock tune. see how it runs there. is it throwing any codes.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The truck will act the same with or without the tunes. The truck is throwing codes. When I have a spare minute, I will write them down and post them up here.

·
Laces Out
12,312 Posts
sounds to me like you've got a hg issue...when it finally firs and smokes white, its prolly coolant in your cylinders. i would have someone start it for you, go by the tailpipe and smell the smoke..if its coolant you'll know its a hg, if its raw fuel its prolly an injector.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Anyone have a book of codes ? so when he posts up can figure out, I agree with Mike ^^^^^^^

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
From what I read here..my bet is EGR/EGR cooler issues.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,952 Posts
My '05 does the same exact thing. Gradually got worse and worse. Can't even drive it with the programmer on it now, even in the lowest setting. Did the egr delete and it still does it so I'm pretty sure it's a headgasket/headstud issue.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
If blocking the egr doesn't fix it, I would bet HG issues as well.

the egr cooler can flash the coolant and make it boil over, but blocked off should eliminate it.

right 6.0 guys?

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, went out to start the truck up this morning with no tune installed...the truck took about 15 minutes to start. While the truck was idling (really rough, almost sounds like the truck was misfiring/about to stall) I smelt the white smoke that was coming out of the exhaust. The smoke smelled mostly of diesel, but there was a hint of lingering coolant. Not sure if this was from previous puking or from starting it up. Once the truck warmed up to where it could be driven, about 10-15 more minutes, the water in fuel light came on. I then checked the DTC's through the Bully Dog Outlook monitor and these are what I got (alot!):

P0263
P0272
P0299
U1960
P2614
P2617

After about a half an hour of idle/light driving, the truck would run fine. A little more sluggish than before all of this started happening, but ran decent. There is no abnormal smoke coming out while driving or anytime after the day's first start up/initial idle.

I have talked to numerous people, all claiming to be diesel techs and have heard answers ranging from clogged airfilter, blown gaskets, clogged EGR, and blown HPOP. I have no idea right now. All I know is that starting the thing for the first time takes an hour until I can drive it and the power is not the same as before the issues started appearing. Thanks for all of your all's time and help.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
P0263 --Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0272 --Cylinder 4 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0299 --T/Super Charger Underboost
P2614 --Camshaft Position Signal Output Circ/Open
P2617 --Crankshaft Position Signal Output Circ/Open

U1960 I'm having problems finding

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Cam sensor error prob. from cranking on it for a long time .I would say get those 2 offenging holes checked and replace as needed.Hate to say it need to find someone that has an IDS or star and get it looked at.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the truck will soon be going to Eric at Innovative Diesel for ARP Studs, Gaskets, and Injectors. I was thinking about adding the EGR delete pipe from Elite as well.
Is there anything else that should be checked while the motor is being worked on. I believe Eric said that he has the local Ford Dealership do all of the install work for him, so I guess they will have all of the required equipment to check everything.

·
Portable Park-N-Lot
393 Posts
i have had the same problems before. sounds like it could be a combonation of EGR cooler and head gaskets. i have been thru 3 EGR coolers and the truck is in the shop as we speak having new HG's put in, along with head studs too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're running an SCT already so the EGR delete pipe is a definite YES. It will keep the hot exhaust out of the EGR cooler and take the scoop out of the inside of the up-pipe giving you a little more direct shot to the turbo.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So will the delete pipe stop the coolant boiling/puking out of the overflow?

I just feel over loaded by all of the things that need to be addressed on the 6.0. On top of the mods in my sig plus studs, gaskets, injectors, and EGR delete pipe, what should the next step be?

·
Portable Park-N-Lot
393 Posts
Have you had any experience with an EGR Delete pipe? Or were you just replacing it with the stock piece each time?
i bought the up-pipe with EGR delete from Elite. mine broke at the flex area within a few weeks. dont really know why it broke and the guys at Elite had no explanation of it either.

they sell a block of plate that goes between the cooler and the up-pipe. it costs about 35 bucks and would serve the same purpose.

EGR Cooler Block off Plate: Eliminates the heat-flashing of the coolant by stopping exhaust flow from entering the EGR cooler. This install usually requires removing or loosening clamp at the turbo to install. The end result is disguised and only discovered upon disassembly, excellent for trucks that need to maintain a factory appearance. On certain trucks this modification may set a check engine light, our custom tuner can eliminate this condition. This plate is best for 2003 and 2004 trucks that do not have the 'scoop' in the up-pipe as shown below.

i am glad that i saved my OEM up-pipe. i will say this, Elite stood behind their product and sent me a SCT Xcal 1 at no extra charge to me for the broken up-pipe.

·
Portable Park-N-Lot
393 Posts
You're running an SCT already so the EGR delete pipe is a definite YES. It will keep the hot exhaust out of the EGR cooler and take the scoop out of the inside of the up-pipe giving you a little more direct shot to the turbo.

i had to unplug the EGR valve, but i was running my 6-gun at that time.

so with the SCT, it can delete the EGR valve for you. i did loose about 4psi of boost with the up-pipe EGR delete.

i still believe you will need to do head studs before its all over with. i am basing this own my own experiences i have had with the same kinda troubles you are describing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts