Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I am rather new to the diesel world and I am trying to learn as much as possible I just bought my truck about 2 months ago, and it has started getting cold in the morning. this morning it was about 40 degrees. I have noticed that the fuel warmed has started sounding different only on the first start up of the day and when it is cold. then this morning was the coldest so far and when the light went out i started it and the engine was kind of lurching up and down for a couple seconds bad enough to cause the truck to shake back and forth. but after a couple seconds it settled in to the normal high idle. was hoping someone could offer some insight as to what the problem may be.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Several things could be the issue. Mainly I am thinking of FICM performance and or injector stiction. First step is to pull codes and report back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Likely bad injector(s) the injectors are hydraulically controlled using engine oil, the common issue with them is called "stiction". It is were the spool valve in the injector head starts to stick-friction. When the engine is cold the oil is thicker so the problem is magnified, when the oil heats up and the oil thins out, the problem goes away... very common issue on the 6.0L. Plug in the truck and if it starts better then you should start saving for Injectors. You are okay for now but when they start to misfire at operating temperature it will be time to change them.

Contact me if it turns out you need injectors, I have some options.

Hope that helps
Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure my oil should still be in good shape i only have about 2k on the oil. so where do i got to get the fcim calibration done. and also about the block heater. my truck dos not have the plug I was told that they all come with the proper hard wear already on them you just have to get the plug its self hooked up. is this true? what do I look for to make sure that the block heater stuff is there and how much will it cost to get the wire hooked up? or can I do it my self??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o and as far as pulling codes I dont have a programmer yet. do you all know if the code readers they have at say auto zone work for diesels?

·
Administrator
33,055 Posts
man your needy lol

do some google searches

the heater is in the block ,, you may not have the cord and that is available

AZ readers may or may not pick up your codes // but it's free

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I am needy. but I am vary serous about taking care of my truck also I like to learn as much as possible about it. so I thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the reader that they had at my local AZ pulled the code from my 01 f250 so you should be fine to pull a code on yours =]

·
Registered
444 Posts
40* gives my truck a little shake and some smoke, does it take a while for it to start? if it does maybe your glow plugs are getting weak hope this helps........when it get like -10 -20 itl shake even better especially not plugged in lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running 15w-40. which says its acceptable at these temps. but is the 6.0L more picky about the oil because of the high pressure oil system?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also when I was reading about the sticktion is said that carbon and contaminants in the oil can cause it, now I heard from another source that the EGR system can cause carbon to get in to your oil system. dos any one if this is true?

·
Registered
83 Posts
also when I was reading about the sticktion is said that carbon and contaminants in the oil can cause it, now I heard from another source that the EGR system can cause carbon to get in to your oil system. dos any one if this is true?
Absolutely, the EGR system is the root cause of all evil on the 6.0L, it is what gives a great truck an unfair bad reputation for the engines injectors, turbo, oil cooler and head gasket it needs to go!

The block heater kit is available at Ford for around $200, easy install.

15/40 is what we do every 5000K, My day job is managing Bernhausen Diesel and we specialize in the Powerstroke, your oil may be in great shape but trust me you likely looking at injectors soon. Save the $200 on the block heater and use it to take our truck somewhere where than can run an IDS injector contribution/balance test and you will see in a graph which injector are low contribution. I am not sure what shops are in your area but Ford may be your only option for the IDS, let them test the injectors, get your report and get out of there. If I am right about the injectors contact me and I will help you with what needs to be done if you like.

Hope that helps
Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for your addvise my for sure next purchase will be a delete kit and hopfully I will be able to install it myself with out to much hassel. If I change my oil over over to 5w-40 will have problems if it gets hot again??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your splitting hairs with the oil, there are lots of 300 page threads on which oil to use. The powerstroke is not that finicky with the EGR Deleted, we use 15/40 semi synthetic oil every 5000K in our climate. If you want to use full synthetic that is okay, what ever you choose just make sure you do it and the fuel filters when your supposed too!

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No haven't herd of it what is hot shots and rez x?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts