Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a problem with my brakes.. this has happened 4 times now. I dont know where to start for a fix. Basicly ive found it only happens after ive been driving for an hour or more. The problem is the brakes start to drag. the first time it was the front passenger side, second time it was the drivers side, third time it was both fronts and today it was the rear passenger side. everytime the truck started to shake when stopping then shook all all the time. then you start to feel the drag. brakes smoke when stopped. today i felt all the wheels and none were hot besides the right rear and like i said was so hot it was smoking. any ideas?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sounds like slide pins are sticking.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? yea but today ill go out brakes will be fine for alittle while anyway.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Take the slide pins out and wire brush them. Next put high temp anti-seize on it

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Or caliper slide pin grease.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greased both fronts yesterday (both sides moved freely before greasing) but had it apart so said what the hell.. then went for a 30-40min drive hard braking and got the drivers side front to clamp up..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Greased both fronts yesterday (both sides moved freely before greasing) but had it apart so said what the hell.. then went for a 30-40min drive hard braking and got the drivers side front to clamp up..
What about those wire spreaders that are supposed to spread the pads apart. Do you have them in place?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I had fixed one like this before, someone removed the "return spring" in the hydroboost. Problem was the little port in the master cylinder that lets fluid move to and from the calipers was being blocked off, and as the brake fluid warmed up and expanded it would slowly start to apply the brakes, eventually generation so much heat they would lock up. Lift up on the pedal and it would roll again.

Try lifting up on the pedal when brakes begin to drag.

If it goes away suspect issue with pedal assembly/ hydroboost.

If no problem is found there, try cracking the brake lines loose (at bleeder or master cylinder) to relieve pressure, if brakes still drag suspect faulty calipers. If drag is gone suspect master cylinder issue.

Good Luck

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea im thinking its something with the lines or master cylinder its like it holds pressure after awhile and then bleeds off slowly.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Residual valves? Have you ever flushed the sys?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup disks all around

1 - 13 of 13 Posts