Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F250 7.3 and i went to charge the A/C yesterday and all i did was add two cans of freon... the first can went in fine and the a/c started to get semi cold and then i started to put in the second can and the compressor started making a weird jumpy noise and started shooting freon from the rear where the a/c lines connect to it...

What in the heack went wrong lol, i mean this is the first time i have ever added any to a diesel but it shouldnt have been any diff shoudl it?

Is there a seal or O-Ring behind where the lines mount?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
You did use the freon device that monitors how much goes in there, in pounds that is. I have a kit with a gauge on it that tells me what the pressure and amount of freon going it. Just second guessing and you put to much in I would assume a leak would apear. Did you add any oil too it ??

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Yes there are orings in the fittings. Sounds like ya blew one out. You can get an oring kit at napa for about 15 bucks I think.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Why were you adding freon? Blew hot all the time. On off while driving? Not very cold? The reason I ask is because my clutch was slipping on the compresor, was going to add some, then happened across the real problem. Ac clutch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i used a gauge and it read like the system was very low... then again i havnt used the gauge in over a year so im not sure it worked right... Do they sell the Kit at autozone or advanced? we dont have a NAPA here :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why were you adding freon? Blew hot all the time. On off while driving? Not very cold? The reason I ask is because my clutch was slipping on the compresor, was going to add some, then happened across the real problem. Ac clutch.

it blew semi cold while driving but when setting at a stop light it would get hot again

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
it blew semi cold while driving but when setting at a stop light it would get hot again
sounds like maybe u should clean your evaporator and check the system charge again, if your gauge didnt read right and you put to much pressure in theres a safety blow off on the compressor

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
yes i used a gauge and it read like the system was very low... then again i havnt used the gauge in over a year so im not sure it worked right... Do they sell the Kit at autozone or advanced? we dont have a NAPA here :(
Out of all places, Wally World, in the automotive section, its where I got mine. But, the guys could be right, AC clutch going out, back and forth temps in a big way sounds like AC clutch, takin a stab at it anyways.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Holy $hit batman, why do people pretend to know what they are doing with AC? Go to a shop with a machine that can measure what's going in and the psi on both the high and low side.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Holy batman, why do people pretend to know what they are doing with AC? Go to a shop with a machine that can measure what's going in and the psi on both the high and low side.
It's no bigie, it only takes about 400 psi to trigger that pressure relief valve. That little amount of pressure couldn't hurt anyone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy batman, why do people pretend to know what they are doing with AC? Go to a shop with a machine that can measure what's going in and the psi on both the high and low side.
thats what i have.. i have a gauge that connects to the high and to the low side and then a line in the middle to connect the freon to... now as far as it working correctly, that i dont know, it has been thrown around in the garage for over a year now... but oh well one way or another ill live and learn..

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
thats what i have.. i have a gauge that connects to the high and to the low side and then a line in the middle to connect the freon to...
So what was the low and high side pressure while you were adding the freon?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like maybe u should clean your evaporator and check the system charge again, if your gauge didnt read right and you put to much pressure in theres a safety blow off on the compressor
where is the safety blow off??? mine had leak dect. in it and i could see it blowing out like crazy right where the lines connect to the rear...

did i hurt the compressor since it was jumping and making a skipping noise...

also, how do i replace to a/c clutch

these guys are right i know very little about the a/c on this thing

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Take the truck to someone that is certified in A/C. It will work better, last longer, and there's much less chance of someone getting hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take the truck to someone that is certified in A/C. It will work better, last longer, and there's much less chance of someone getting hurt.
yeah your right.. i just want to fix the problem first then ill take it to have it charged and done right... Shops around here like to charge you for things the dont do but yet say they do... Thats why i hate taking my truck anywhere local... i usually drive to bowling green ky, a lil over an hour away to get quality work

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
yeah your right.. i just want to fix the problem first then ill take it to have it charged and done right... Shops around here like to charge you for things the dont do but yet say they do... Thats why i hate taking my truck anywhere local... i usually drive to bowling green ky, a lil over an hour away to get quality work
What you're not seeing here is you may have put too much freon in, hydrolocking the pump several times, that is probably why it was making noise.

You may now be looking at replacing the pump as well as fixing a leak, assuming it's not actually just something simple like a bad cutout switch or clogged evap core.

When it comes to A/C, if you don't know what to look for on the gauges, and you don't know what you're doing, please take it to someone who is certified in A/C.

Dave

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
if you've never heard of MACS a/c you should check into it, you can get certified through a simple class

1 - 17 of 17 Posts