Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans is gone again i had a full rebuild done by blueminthals in oklahoma city. And it lasted 22000 miles and 2 years. It cost me $2900 they wont cover it under warrenty. It had a 12 month 12000 mile warrenty. The best price there giving me is $1792 there bending over back wards in there words. Not to mention we had a honda car rebuild done also right after my truck. It lasted a week before it went out. They covered the car but it took almost 3 months. So i think im going a different route this time. Any ideas i dont want to throw a bunch of money at it again?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Give BTS a call. 870 422 3673. He has no problems standing behind any product even after the warranty is done.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
X2 on this. I had a minor issue with my trans well after the warranty. And they guys at BTS did not hesitate to help.
IIRC, there have been total failures outside of the warranty where he fixed it free.

·
Registered
289 Posts
BTS is exactly what i'm getting when my trans goes...side note, what are the specs on your truck (lift, tires, gears)? Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i got them to do the tranny again for 1100 i couldnt get it cheaper anywhere else and they gave me 24 month 24000. But really i dont think i shouldve had to pay any but what do you do. I wish i would have gone with somebody else in the first place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 inch lift 37 inch tires and stock 3:73 i want to do that next but im not sure what ratio yet. I tow a 12000 pound inclosed trailer sometimes.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well i got them to do the tranny again for 1100 i couldnt get it cheaper anywhere else and they gave me 24 month 24000. But really i dont think i shouldve had to pay any but what do you do. I wish i would have gone with somebody else in the first place.
I hate it when people use that dirty 5 letter word "CHEAP". It implies a lower cost but when added up, the cost is a lot higher than a proper solution and the aggravation is often not considered. If people went for an honestly cheap solution, I'll bet they will find that for the most part, they pay more up front but less in the long run but oh well, people never learn. They want to pay as little up front then hope and pray that it goes well and even when it doesn't they don't learn. Get the meaning of the word "cheap" as you understand it out of your head. Cheap means in the long run and not at the checkout. IF you pay $1000 now, $1000 later and $1000 later, you might have been better off if you paid $2500 up front and had a lot less aggravation to begin with. After all, like a hooker, your time is money.

I'll share a personal experience. Like many others, it has added up to the point where I can't afford cheap solutions anymore. When TFS came out with their twisted wedge heads, they were cheaper even with the upgraded hardware for higher lift cams. Waited for them even past the deadline and was happier than hell when it finally came. After all, it is just a piece of aluminum and I'll be damned if I pay that much for AFR. It was just a name, nothing more. I got the heads installed and they worked well. I got a bargain. I had the heads that flowed well and paid less so I thought. My short block came from Lingenfelters so it cost more than an el-cheapo machine shop.

Two weeks after I got it installed, I got a warning that the guideplates were going to be a problem. You see, they found that a batch had heat treatment issues so they are sending us a good set. Oh well, teething problems. I mean, you got it cheaper than AFR so a little inconvenience is to be expected. FFW to a couple years down the road and I had to deal with a Valve Cover leak. When the VC came off, I noticed that the front right spring was broke. Not good. Still, we took off the bad spring and changed the thing out. Life was good.

6 months later, I was in shop class so I decided to fix the intake manifold leak. GM 350 blocks were notorious for "China Wall" leaks. Well, since I was there, why not check out how the heads were? Compression was good and even so since we are there, lets do it. Guess what? That spring break had allowed the valve to kiss the piston. Not good. That expensive block was junk.

Got it rebuilt and had the heads checked out. Once the springs came off, the right head was a joke. You see, with no spring tension, the valves wobbled in the guides. This was ONLY on the right side so it was probably a QC issue. Left side was OK. I got the heads rebuilt, sold them off and got the AFR heads THAT I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Had I done that, I could have not tossed my short block and saved myself aggravation not bought the TFS heads. At this point, if you gave me a set of TFS heads, the only way I would use them if it were cheap enough to replace all the hardware with premium stuff or tie a rope to it and use it as a boat anchor or door stop. NFW in hell would I ever put it into a car of mine unless I plan to sell it.

That and several bad experiences of buying as cheap as I can get away with today and paid more tomorrow made me realize that it was cheaper to buy right the first time and not screw with doing it right the second time. I bought BTS because I know I will break the trans and it will be covered. Sure, all the slick ads can say anything before money changes hands but when people testify about his service AFTER the warranty is done, I know it is cheaper to buy it and when it breaks, you have no worries than to pay less out door and have problems. Go on FTE and ask about Franko72 and his wonderful experience with his local cheaper builder and see what he went with. Here is the link: truck is FINALLY back from the trans shop... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ask yourself this: What is MY time and aggravation worth?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts