Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.

Does anyone know the specs on how much the stock wastegate moves at what PSI?

I'm wanting to play with a wastegate controller...

Tell me if I'm thinking about this right... I'm going to go from a "T" in the MAP line, back in to the cab, to a regulator, which is connected to the actuator canister, does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Just wire it shut.

Ya that sounds right. I think the stock waste gate starts opening around like 5 psi.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
Ask your tuner. They need to control the wastegate to control surge so they should know exactly when it moves.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
OK.

I'm wanting to play with a wastegate controller...

Tell me if I'm thinking about this right... I'm going to go from a "T" in the MAP line, back in to the cab, to a regulator, which is connected to the actuator canister, does that sound right?
The mechanics of it sounds right as long as your not running any type of boost fooler blow off valve.

You could just run it to one of the barbs on the lower part of your spider since your not using the red hose for your wastegate anymore.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Or you could just run the regulator in place of the factory solenoid, might be a tad easier.

I would be interested to see what the drive pressures ratio would be.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to build a drive pressure gauge. I have access to a lot of the stuff for free, lots of stainless AN fittings... I am planning on running a little manifold if you will... I'll try to draw it up...

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I need to build a drive pressure gauge. I have access to a lot of the stuff for free, lots of stainless AN fittings... I am planning on running a little manifold if you will... I'll try to draw it up...
Well I hope you have a completer fuel system by now...
Those AN fittings are the most expensive part of putting one together.

Do you just tap one of the up pipes for the copper tubing/fitting when installing the drive pressure gauge?

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wire it shut.

Ya that sounds right. I think the stock waste gate starts opening around like 5 psi.
I have it completely tightened down, but I don't want that anymore. I know I have enough fuel to light it pretty easily... Plus, the drive pressures are starting to worry me.
Ask your tuner. They need to control the wastegate to control surge so they should know exactly when it moves.
I don't have the factory wastegate solenoid at all anymore.

The mechanics of it sounds right as long as your not running any type of boost fooler blow off valve.

You could just run it to one of the barbs on the lower part of your spider since your not using the red hose for your wastegate anymore.
I'm using a reg, not blow-off style.
Or you could just run the regulator in place of the factory solenoid, might be a tad easier.

I would be interested to see what the drive pressures ratio would be.
I'm gonna definately hook up a drive pressure gauge. I think trying to do it by SOTP will be counter-productive.

Well I hope you have a completer fuel system by now...
Those AN fittings are the most expensive part of putting one together.

Do you just tap one of the up pipes for the copper tubing/fitting when installing the drive pressure gauge?
I'm still trying to make sure I have enough.... i need to start on it soon...

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
So even with this manual wastegate controller, the actuator rod will still have to be fine tuned to see when it starts pushing open correct?

I would think the only bad part is... your still dealing with the stock actuator.

You need a controller that say: doesn't let any air flow untill your set pressure.

Tear it up for me guys. Im a newbie. LOL

Where can one of these so desired regulators be had?

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree 100%, but I don't mind giving up a small amount of spool for less backpressure. And I would think popping the gate open at say 10 psi may cause a pressure loss.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know at what PSI the WG rod is fully extended? I'm trying to figure out how much preload I need to put on the actuator spring...

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Where can I get a regulator like the 2nd one in my diagram? All I can find are one's like the first one.

I'd like to mess with this a little also.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure... I hooked mine straight to boost yesterday. On my quick little run, I noticed definite top end improvement, but I did loose a good bit of spool up... I wish I had one that I could do something like a digital controller, but that's way more than I intend to spend on a stock turbo. If I could hold it until around 15psi, and then get it to ramp up to full pressure slowly until it got around 25, that would be pretty cool. I'm going to run my reg lines this week, I just couldn't find any of my regulators last night. I know I have a brand new one laying around somewhere...

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK...

Here are my results so far.

I have NOT hooked up the regulator yet, but I loosened the wastegate rod to where it is holding LIGHT pressure... Like, barely any.

Then I hooked the actuator directly to my boost referance...

I have done a few runs. The boost holds right around 25 [email protected] The truck DEFINATELY feels stronger SOTP. But it DOES take a little longer to reach full boost, which was expected.

I'm gonna play with the actuator rod a little more, since I feel like this is the answer to help me hold the gate closed for a little longer. I would like to sacrafice a little less mid-range, and maybe have 26 [email protected] But for now, the truck feels good. I'd like to get on the track again and see what I have picked up, but I guess that'll have to wait until Bash On The Bayou.

I'll keep anyone interested updated. But I now see what I was losing with the gate fully tightened or tied shut.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Sorry guys trying to learn.... so you require boost pressure to open the wastegate at a defined set point? How does it work? Or is it the spring that keeps it closed until a defined turbo pressure. Or is it map line pressure that opens the wastegate? Obviously not one on my obs but do have setable 3 port regulator on map line and was wondering if you hooked nuther one in series on the exhaust side port on first reg of that would suffice? Or in the upper illustration hooked into manifold?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Does anyone know at what PSI the WG rod is fully extended? I'm trying to figure out how much preload I need to put on the actuator spring...
Get an air compressor line regulator and using shop air, adapt the outlet so you can hook it to the wastegate actuator. Then dial the pressure up slowly to see what the actuator rod is doing at certain applied boost pressures.

Dave

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Don't forget that the factory wastegate vents ONLY FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE TURBINE HOUSING.

The driver's side IS NOT wastegated.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Get an air compressor line regulator and using shop air, adapt the outlet so you can hook it to the wastegate actuator. Then dial the pressure up slowly to see what the actuator rod is doing at certain applied boost pressures.

Dave
Thanks. I got that done, but it's not quite as easy to tell what it's gonna be doing on the compressor side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts