Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 6.0 have been puking alot lately since i have been driving farther to work. Today I wanted to kinda see how much pressure the coolant system was building so I took the degas cap off at Lowes after I pulled in. It released some pressure and when I unscrewed it all the way, the cap went BOOM and blew off of the degas. I have never had that much pressure.

I am thinking its headgaskets, but what else could it be? Could my waterpump be out? I have done an egr delete last summer. The truck has 160,000 miles. I bought the truck from a dealer who bought it from Austin Bridge and Road. So I do not think that the truck was ever abused. I would assume it was a foreman's truck. It is an F-250 regular cab, so it did not haul a crew around.

I have never abused the truck, only pulled 30 squares of roofing with it, but that should be nothing.

I assume it is abnormal to have that much pressure in the cooling system, but is that nomal to be super pressurized after driving 40 miles and immediately opening the cap?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
16psi will blow the cap off. It's hard to tell if the head gaskets are bad unless your getting diesel in the coolant or can coolant in the oil or a combo of both... That being said puking coolant is a sign of bad head gaskets or you coolant reservoir is overfilled you want the coolant level in the degas bottle to be about a half inch below the min mark when cold. I would start by getting the system pressure checked and checking the oil for water

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I would start by changing the cap. Its bad if it is holding too much pressure.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What do you think of aftermarket caps? I had to get one cause the dealer was closed a couple of weeks ago. I forgot until I was reading this should I go get one from ford?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also found this from some research that has never been brought up much

"A leak where the intake meets the heads around the coolant crossover"

How would I check for this? If this were true, would'nt coolant be all inside of the intake? If I pullled the erg valve, I could look down in there right and make sure it was dry and if it was, then this would not be the case correct?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I also found this from some research that has never been brought up much

"A leak where the intake meets the heads around the coolant crossover"

How would I check for this? If this were true, would'nt coolant be all inside of the intake? If I pullled the erg valve, I could look down in there right and make sure it was dry and if it was, then this would not be the case correct?
You mean the EGR cooler??

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Yeah. I am having a hard time following that.

sent from my Smart Car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts