Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 F350 4x4 Powerstroke 6.0L non PTO that had been sitting for a about 4 months and now when I start it it runs and drives perfectly fine until it reaches operating temp.

Once it reaches operating temp it starts to go very slow and has a hard time making it over 30 mph along with very poor throttle response.
When I try to accelerate lightly or even pushing the pedal to the floor it will start to surge and hesitate real bad.
When letting off the accelerator the blow off valve sounds real loud and almost like something is flapping under the hood on the driver side. But once the rpms come down to an idle it will be fine until trying to accelerate again.

Also after driving the truck and shutting it off after it reaches operating tenp it will not start. It just cranks and cranks but won't start when it's warm, but it starts perfectly fine if I let it sit for an hour after it's cooled off

All the injectors we're resealed about a year ago and one sounds like it's sticking but I'm not sure if this would cause the problem.

I've searched a through most forums but haven't found anything that's similar to the issue my trucks having.

And help would be greatly appreciated!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
welcome to the forum! you'll really need some type of monitor to see some engine data, otherwise it's just kinda guessing.

...but we've got guesses too lol! any smoke when it looses power? any boost at all?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
and if it will be a while before you can get a monitor, there's a couple easy/free things... like unplugging the ICP. on the 03 i believe it's down under the turbo, so maybe not that easy lol

another thing to do is pull the egr valve and clean it. though you might need to buy a new gasket and oring kit to get it back in

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You need to jump straight to doing a air test.
3 options; 1. High pressure oil leak. 2. Bad ipr. 3. Bad hpop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
"Also after driving the truck and shutting it off after it reaches operating tenp it will not start. It just cranks and cranks but won't start when it's warm, but it starts perfectly fine if I let it sit for an hour after it's cooled off"

I think that's absolutely right, need an air test cause that sounds exactly like typical hpo oring failure...
...and get a monitor! lol

·
S&R Powerstroke
8 Posts
Start by figuring out the crank no start issue. Air test hpop system to check for leaks, failing ipr valve, or(in many cases for 2003) failing high pressure oil pump. High pressure oil leaks can cause low power and/or crank no start but ive never ran into issues with hp oil leaks causing fluttering turbo noises. While doing the repairs you might as well peak inside the turbocharger and check for unison ring bind up, crack or sticking vanes.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
Since the problem isn't there at first startup, and pretty much only when hot, I don't see it being a bad fuel issue - at least not by itself.

Really doesn't matter though ........... the OP clearly isn't looking for advice on the forums. Got good advice within a few hours but hasn't seen fit to respond for 2 weeks.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
Mine did just as described but I was going to say will get worse real quick and it was algae
I can understand it getting progressively worse as you put fuel through the filter. I don't see it getting better after it cools down though.

thmarty panth thmarty panth!!!
Hey .... I was giving you credit for your 4 posts! lol

·
Kenner, LA
322 Posts
Temp is not what Im referring to as much as run time. Mine did just wat your describing but was getting worse until the point of no start just crank. Just saying that would be simple, easy and cheap to check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts