Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering was always difficult since I owned truck ( 1999 350 superduty) I replaced pump, very little improvement. Truck has 280k. I put about 10k on new pump. Today as I was backing up a trailer I felt a slight pop in steering wheel. pump whining noise stopped, lost power to the steering, but hydroboost still works. Does anybody have an idea as to what might of happened?

·
Project Shamu
2,573 Posts
Probably broke the steering gear, time for a replacement.

Blue top or red head are my suggestions

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably broke the steering gear, time for a replacement.

Blue top or red head are my suggestions
When you say steering gear, are you referring to the steering gear box? I am not familiar with the term steering gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say steering gear, are you referring to the steering gear box? I am not familiar with the term steering gear.
Ok did a little research, thanks for info, steering gear is what I have always known as steering gear box. Blue top has them red head doesn't

·
Project Shamu
2,573 Posts

·
PSN intsigator
6,405 Posts
I put a blue top on my Excursion and love it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks people for the info. update. I replaced the gear box, still no steering. went ahead and replaced the pump. I have power steering. I had enough pressure that I blew the hose of of the cooler up front while test driving. I am happy that I changed out the gear box I don't road wander as much and the truck turns easier. Talked to a good friend of mine who is certified ford man, he told me it's a crap shoot between hdyroboost, pump and gear box. With no real way to tell which one. I do think a person should strongly look a pump first,beings I seem to have more trouble with ford pumps than other vehicle make.

·
Project Shamu
2,573 Posts
I understand now, but in your first post it seemed like you heard a "pop" and then the steering wheel would turn but not the tires, which made me think steering gearbox.

Glad you fixed it and are happy though

·
PSN intsigator
6,405 Posts
I understand now, but in your first post it seemed like you heard a "pop" and then the steering wheel would turn but not the tires, which made me think steering gearbox.

Glad you fixed it and are happy though
I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
At that age and mileage the power steering pump is probably weak and needs replaced. The bearings and seals within it are worn too a point where it can’t supply enough hydraulic pressure to the steering rack.
snaptube vidmate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts