Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble with their steering box? Im leaking powersteering fluid from somewhere at a constant rate when the engine is running, and I think it might be a seal located somewhere in the steering box.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Usually its the sector shaft seal, if the sector shaft is rusty or pitted replace it also or you are just wasting you time. You can get the shaft from the dealer( don't we all ) for about $100. Make sure you get the pre-load set correctly or it will never steer right.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with their steering box? Im leaking powersteering fluid from somewhere at a constant rate when the engine is running, and I think it might be a seal located somewhere in the steering box.
Have you checked that the leak isnt from the reservoir? The pressure hose has an o-ring that cant be changed and causes leaks that goes down to the gear box, you have to change the hose or make an adaptation.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I have all new hoses into the box and from the PS pump, my problem is I am constantly loosing PS fluid, and my caps have been blown off several times... so I bout a new PS pump assembly, but have yet to install it since it'll take most of my day, since its the whole assembly. I will probably change it out when I get my Adrenaline, since that'll be a fun task too, lol.
Do ya'll have a diagram of the gear box, PS pump and sector shaft, so I can visualize it all together, cause heaven knows theres enough dirt under my hood that I loose major parts of my engine when i peer in, lol.

·
Registered
345 Posts
well I have all new hoses into the box and from the PS pump, my problem is I am constantly loosing PS fluid, and my caps have been blown off several times... so I bout a new PS pump assembly, but have yet to install it since it'll take most of my day, since its the whole assembly. I will probably change it out when I get my Adrenaline, since that'll be a fun task too, lol.
Do ya'll have a diagram of the gear box, PS pump and sector shaft, so I can visualize it all together, cause heaven knows theres enough dirt under my hood that I loose major parts of my engine when i peer in, lol.
Look here:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/96fman/stjmain.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts