Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I am really new to the truck world and I would like to upgrade my rotors and pads and don't really know what I'm looking for or where to look I have looked at a few sites and people are recommending power slotted Cryo'd rotors. I have tried looking on the Internet and can't find where to buy them or which ones I need for my 2002 f250 7.3 4x4

Please help, thank you everyone

·
Administrator
666 Posts
NAPA. premium rotors, calipers, and pads.
those fancy rotors and pads do the same exact thing, only cost around $300 more.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The highest grade of parts is usually manufacturer-authorized (Ford/MotorCraft). Others may have more marketing BS attached & cost more, but they're lower grade. For brakes: the less surface area in-contact between the pads & rotors, the worse the braking performance (higher temperatures, less stopping force for the same pedal force). Freezing a rotor doesn't keep it cool or help it - it's just marketing, like "full-synthetic motor oil".

·
Registered
97 Posts
I keep running into this post. The Cyrod rotor process entails deep freezing the heat treated and tempered rotor and retempring the rotor back to spec.. The process is to displace any recidual stress remaining in the rotor, which they may have experienced with extensive testing..Extra and over heating will on occasion stress the rotor into warping..The slots in the rotor promote cooling..Good or bad ?? There thought is pay now or later under under sever duty..!..Im running napa , top of there line rotors . 99 F350... The GOV Holmes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wanted to revive this thread to add a few cents worth of experience with cryos slotted/drilled powerstop rotors. I don't know a damn thing about 7.3's but I've been running them on my 100 series landcruiser for at least five years and love'em. With the toyotas I've been strictly OEM for everything including brakes for quite some time. If you know anything about the 100 series land cruisers, you know the one of its biggest weaknesses are the stock brakes. After warping 2 sets over 4 years going to tahoe in spring and early summer I decided to try something different. The powerslots stay cooler, grab more consistently and I have yet to warp the set I bought when coming down from Donner summit into Truckee and hitting the puddles of runoff that always seem to be lurking. I've noticed this particularly when towing boats to and from Lake Tahoe in April and May.

There are some downsides to having hardened rotors. I tend to go trough pads a little faster. Due to being slotted & drilled some shops won't turn them if they do start to warp. There is also a little more noise with slotted rotors when braking.

Lastly, if anyone is expecting drastically increased stopping power over your stock rotors then your in for a disappointment. From my experience they do a great job and keeping the brakes more consistent during extended periods of braking, and there is a little more bite but it certainly isn't night and day. Your more likely to see a bigger benefit from going to a softer pad material however you'll be cleaning your rims a few times a week and changing the pads quite a bit more often.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Primary benefit of the treated rotors is durability ,, there were reports years ago of the drilled rotors cracking.. Those using the modified rotors gave the slotted product the best report,, The reports quite well have been on different mfg. products , not all being the same brand ? Added cost and a more durable product. By now they should be at there best and the survivors left should have benefits for the added cost? The Gov Holmes

·
Administrator
666 Posts
my reason for non use is they eat break pads.
i get 75-80k miles out of a set of pad towing.
one of my old customers swore by drilled/slotted cryo rotors. every 6 months or so it was back getting pads put on it.
he simply would not listen to reason. he was lucky to get 20k miles out of a set of pads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My pads and rotors are the same , how good are they ? I don't know they work well and very pleased. Maintain the slide pins with the Silguide type product as to prevent sticky rotors ,, The Gov Holmes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts