Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have a pretty bad dead spot around 45-50mph, light throttle (slow moving traffic for example) when the truck goes into OD? Mine is pretty annoying, either have to tap the brake to lock up the coverter or put her in tow/haul....or put the pedal almost to the ground before it decides to downshift, then I am left blacking out the highway and rapid acceleration - neither of which I want for that type of driving condition. If I try rolling into the pedal to get it to pick up, truck just sounds like its sucking a bunch of air and not going anywhere. Have the same problem on different tunes by different tune writers....just wondering if this is the powermax's achilles heel or if I just need to spend more time tuning the thing.

Truck has 190s - 75 over

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
From what I have read, this IS the PMs "achilles heel" and that while tuning helps to a degree; larger injectors are really what are required to get rid of the dead spot. JMO.

·
1,549 Posts
OOps my bad. Didnt see that. sorry about that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe a batmowheel? They are supposed to help spool faster. Just throwing ideas around

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide App

·
1,549 Posts
Maybe 205s with 100% nozzles. I bet he wont have a dead spot then. I'm just kidding, there has to be a reason why this is happening and there has to be something he can do without throwing parts/money at it.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
Maybe 205s with 100% nozzles. I bet he wont have a dead spot then. I'm just kidding, there has to be a reason why this is happening and there has to be something he can do without throwing parts/money at it.
LOL

Agreed! It'll have plenty of fuel! But I'm thinking tuning.

Rob, are you running Doug's tune with the TQ lockup? I found that around the same speeds as you I had some lag (stock turbo and injectors). The tune was so good everywhere else I was able to live with it. The only thing I changed was how I drove in that situation if I needed to get up and go: like you, I'd left foot tap the brake pedal. FWIW, that unlocks the TQ, not lock it.

·
1,549 Posts
Well according to his sig he has Matt's tuning at gearhead and I have heard that his tunes are the best for this dead spot in the PM. Also, he has PLENTY of fuel IMO with 190s and 75% nozzles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL

Agreed! It'll have plenty of fuel! But I'm thinking tuning.

Rob, are you running Doug's tune with the TQ lockup? I found that around the same speeds as you I had some lag (stock turbo and injectors). The tune was so good everywhere else I was able to live with it. The only thing I changed was how I drove in that situation if I needed to get up and go: like you, I'd left foot tap the brake pedal. FWIW, that unlocks the TQ, not lock it.
I am not sure exactly what Doug put in mine - he rebuilt my transmission, and tuned it so I am sure he has something in there, but not sure, I will ask. Thanks for the correction - about the TQ lol as I have said a million times I am no mechanic - "I just want to go fast" LOL

·
1,549 Posts
Well if you are running a tune from Doug, then I would highly suggest giving Matt at Gearhead a call. He supposedly (from everything I have read where guys were experiencing dead spots with the PM) has the best tunes for the PM, whether they be with stock injectors or larger ones. JMO. Best of luck and hope you can get it worked out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you are running a tune from Doug, then I would highly suggest giving Matt at Gearhead a call. He supposedly (from everything I have read where guys were experiencing dead spots with the PM) has the best tunes for the PM, whether they be with stock injectors or larger ones. JMO. Best of luck and hope you can get it worked out.
Running both. Talked to Matt he said adjust my revs per mile. Adjusted them - according to Toyos website the 35x12.5s are 593, according to Doug they are 575 bc they are on the stock 8" wide rims (I think its 18x8) etc. I have tried everything from 575-610. 610 seems best, but still doesnt really make much a difference. I'll tell you guys what, if this dead spot can't be tuned out I will be selling the injectors and powermax and going back to stock :doh:

·
1,549 Posts
Well IMO, I wouldnt get rid of the injectors. There are plenty of guys running your style of injectors successfully to know that you can to.

I have to say though that I am not at all impressed with the performance aspects of the powermax turbo. I realize it is cheap but from everything I have read, it straight up sucks IMO. Now that is just my opinion, which doesnt mean a thing in all reality, but i do feel that since you have 190s you would do well with a non-VGT setup. Depending on your needs for towing either a 62, 64, or 66mm turbo. All of which will out flow a PM all day and if you use a diverter valve with either a 64mm or 66mm turbo, your spool up time will be much faster. JMOs but I really hope you are able to tune this problem out and I understand your frustration. I guess this is what we have to deal with when we start hotrodding.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From everything I have read or heard Non-vgts are known to have much more trouble with dead spots and than VGT???

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
innovative tuning with a 62/70 is instant spool up and no dead spot. Just rode in a truck with this setup its freaking awesome. Thats what I'm for sure going this route eventually. I love my 03 turbo with 190's and tsd tuning. It drives like stock but twice as fast. Sell the powermax, ill get you an 03 turbo and have chris B tune it and you'll be all smiles.

·
1,549 Posts
Greg do you think a 62/70 needs a diverter valve to help spool up with either 175/75s or 190/75s or 190/100s?? I have thought I would need a diverter valve to help the spool up and prevent dead spots but have heard that with the right tuning one doesnt need a diverter valve.

·
1,549 Posts
That is what I am thinking especially with decently large sticks like 175s or 190s. Let's face it we know it flows WAY more than a PM and is probably close to a cast 64mm if you add in a batmowheel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts