Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 7.3, new power steering pump and hose. Installed both today only to find out i have a major leak coming from the threads opposite the pump fitting. The new hose only came with a Teflon deal for the pump side no seals for the flared side. My question is, is there supposed to be an o ring or something to seal the flared side. If not how do I get it to stop seeping past the threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Look on the door jamb and see if there is a calibration code sticker all by itself.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
If it's shaped sort of like a funnel then it doesn't take an oring. If it's the other kind that looks like it has a doughnut on it, then it does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not tapered its more straight. Here is the link... https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PSK72409

It is the fitting on the curved end not the hose end it looks straight to me. So the o ring would go just over the flare then thread the nut on top of it? Just unclear why the kit for the new hose would not come with a o ring if it was required, the hose had a white teflon o ring on the pump side but nothing on the other end.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
The end furthest does not take an o ring. Can't see the other end close to the rubber, but I assume it's the same.

Try cracking it loose and tightening it again. That should stop the leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought. But however, fluid is seeping past the threads on the steering box side have no idea how to stop it.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
On my truck the calibration sticker is only about 1/2"x2" and is on the door frame not the door.

Got a better pic. The fitting the fluid is getting past is the new silver one
Have you checked that it isn't cross threaded?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes have made sure its not cross threaded. I finger tightened till it was tight the tube is tight and cannot be wiggled so its seated completely

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Is the big silver nut that it screwed into tight? It's one of those isn't? Like a big silver nut on the pump? That's where the Teflon seal goes, that thing was tightend down first, then the hose wasnput on yes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fitting that has the Teflon seal is fine its the opposite end that threads into the steering box that's leaking. I can see fluid coming right passed the threads. Its not cross threaded. It went in easily by hand then wrench

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Then I'm not sure man. You'll see this a lot with flare fittings, but loosening and retightening will usually fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure I got it to stop leaking. Took it out and put some of the yellow liquid thread sealer on. Thanks for replies everybody.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts