Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a power steering leak get progressively worse over the last 4-5 months or so. Finally after sitting for a few days, i noticed today there was about a 1 foot wide circle in my driveway.

Started to do some research and came across some information that Ford says to use ATF, Mercon V to be exact, and not powersteering fluid (funny how you can use power steering fluid in a POWER STEERING SYSTEM). Anyways, I've been running power steering fluid for a couple years now. Could it have torn up a seal and be leaking now? Where would it normally start to leak as I can pinpoint where its coming from.

Today I did a flush with STP Mercon V that i got from AutoZone. I just sucked out as much as i could out of the reservoir, refill with ATF, then start the truck and turn the wheel left and right for a few minutes. Then repeat the process until i went through 2 quarts of ATF. Stuff that came out was pretty dark, and whats in the reservoir now is pretty bright Red, so I'd like to think i got atleast most of it. The last fill I added in Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak to see if that would help any. We'll see.

Any ideas where the leak could be coming from? I've finally fixed every oil, transmission, and fuel leak on the truck, now its just this last one!

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Hoses are the most likely culprit, but it could literally be leaking from anywhere. The PS fluid causing a leak is kind of dubious, it'll just break down faster or foam more or do whatever it is that its not supposed to do. Youd need a tribiologist to answer that one.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well looking online both PS lines aren't that expensive, maybe its time to just replace them and hope its not the box leaking?

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
It could also be the pump its self leaking as it has a plastic body sealed to pump with orings.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seem I cant buy just that o-ring on RockAuto either. But i could get the entire reservoir with the O-rings for $15. Good info. Also the entire power steering pump, with reservoir is only $50 or so. Just need to reuse my stock pulley.

Hmm, I wonder if I pulled the pump out, if it will be obvious of where its leaking. Right now its just hard to see in there, especially with my bad eyes.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know if the pumps on these trucks have "Metric Threads" Or "Standard Threads"? While looking at them on Rock Auto, it seems to have 2 options and I'd hate to get the wrong one, if I did end up buying one.

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
Mine was metric but I ran into same problem luck the pressure hose had been replaced at one point so we used that to figure mine out.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So im guessing the metric thread is for the high pressure line that goes into the side of the pump? If thats the case, If i end up having to order the pump, ill order the pressure line with the same threads to match the pump, its only $16 for the line.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vacuum. Wish I had hydroboost lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed a new pump and hoses when I installed my redhead steering box. My previous OBS started leaking at the hose - this one was not leaking but since the pump and box were new I replaced them anyway, I cannot remember if my hoses were standard or metric fittings. I would replace both hoses, the fittings can be a pain on install but do it now and get it out of the way.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The redhead box is something thats definitely interesting as well.

Redhead box - $266 + core
PS Pump w/ Reservoir - $60 + core
PS Lines - $40

So for less than $400, I could have a brand new powersteering system that is guaranteed for no leaks? Not a bad thought.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive gotten under there and taken a look probably a dozen times, taking cans of brake cleaner and rags under there with me every time. But i cannot pinpoint where its coming from! The pump looks dry, but when i run my fingers under that high pressure line its a little wet, but not nearly enough to make a puddle under the truck. The top of the box is completely dry as well as where both lines screw into the top of the steering box. But all around and underneath are just drenched. Drenched enough to travel down the crossmember and drip on the driveway.

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
Well i would say either the return line which on mine also is the ps cooler or the seal on the gear box it self went out. There is one where the input goes in and one where the pitmon arm attaches the one by the pitmon are is not unheard of it go out.

If you can get someone to turn the wheel while watch they will normally show them.selves quickly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The redhead box is something thats definitely interesting as well.

Redhead box - $266 + core
PS Pump w/ Reservoir - $60 + core
PS Lines - $40

So for less than $400, I could have a brand new powersteering system that is guaranteed for no leaks? Not a bad thought.
I didn't want any contamination messing with the new box so I replaced it all, my old pump was squealing anyway. You could consider adding if dye to the pump and using a black light to see better where the source is. Eventually the dye will be everywhere but you'll have some time to track it down before everything gets covered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They sure can, isnt that annoying? I've fought with some for like an hour.
On my 96 the line blew out in the Autozone parking lot when I was taking a friend to pick up some parts. I hate autozone and never go there but I was stuck trying to swap out the line in the parking lot and it was a pain.

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You gotta be kidding me, I just blew the high pressure line a couple miles from my house and a couple miles from the nearest auto parts store! Blew the line right out of the fitting that goes into the pump... guess I found what was wrong... walking to auto zone now... lol

·
Project Shamu
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after 2 trips to Auto zone because I didn't have the right tools in my little box I keep in the truck, im finally home.

Ugh, that sucked.

Pic of the fitting that blew.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts