Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i think my pump may be on the way out. Tell me if you agree.

Its hard/nearly impossible to turn at a stop. Going around sharper corners while moving is hard if im not accelerating through them, its only hard when im braking or rolling through them.

If i give it a little gas then it turns fine. And it seems fine on any normal driving. Just the slower/sharper turns it has problems.

Oh and when going around a corner i can turn the wheel and let go and it wont go back to center. Its like it sticks there.
If its not the pump could be something binding or griding in the front end. Maybe a steering box thats shot? What else could make it so hard to turn?
I know ball joints and stuff are bad and i have a clunking when turning sharp, but none of that should affect turning right?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Depending on how bad your ball joints are, yes they could affect your steering. They are what the knuckles turn on. You should also check your belt and make sure it isn't stretched out to the point that the tensioner is at it's limit, allowing the belt to slip some on the power steering pump. Do you have a lot of play in the steering when driving down the road? If you do, that is a good sign of a steering box in need of adjustment. The box also could be past the point of being adjustable.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on how bad your ball joints are, yes they could affect your steering. They are what the knuckles turn on. You should also check your belt and make sure it isn't stretched out to the point that the tensioner is at it's limit, allowing the belt to slip some on the power steering pump. Do you have a lot of play in the steering when driving down the road? If you do, that is a good sign of a steering box in need of adjustment. The box also could be past the point of being adjustable.
Yeah there is probably 2 inchs both directions.... so ya a good amount of play in the wheel that has always been there though, so i know the steering box needs attention. Just wasnt sure if that could cause my recent steering problems.

I think i will run it in to les schwab and have their professionals look it over and tell me what needs fixed, then i'll buy parts and do it myself

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
I was having similiar problems with my steering, turned out to be the gear box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts