Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Thirsty For More
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What power inverters do you guys use? I dont want to spend more than 250 and am looking for lots of power. Planning on mounting in my toolbox and using for power tools and eventually a compressor. Ive been looking around on ebay but dont really know what is good. Anybody help me out?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I mounted mine in the toolbox and it works great. I got it at harbor freight, just a Chicago Electric brand, about 3 years ago. I think it is a 1,000 watt, it will power a porta band saw or a hammer drill no problem. I was also able to tap of the 12 V power and put LED strips in the tool box and under the bed rails to see under the tonneau.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
What power inverters do you guys use? I dont want to spend more than 250 and am looking for lots of power. Planning on mounting in my toolbox and using for power tools and eventually a compressor. Ive been looking around on ebay but dont really know what is good. Anybody help me out?
ok...from experience...you aren't going to find one for $250 that will power a air compressor....a few electric tools , yes.......a air compressor, no

Here is the cheapest place I've found...Power Inverters and Accessories by Cobra, KISAE, Magnum Energy, Power Bright, Samlex, Voltec, Wagan and Xantrex - DonRowe.com - Index

You need a MINIMUM of 3500w with 5000 peak to run a cheapo 115v air compressor...trust me...I would know...I went through many inverters, and even more small air compressors trying to make it work....

I spent 4hrs one day in Lowes parking lot, buy a air compressor, hook it up, nope too much draw, return it, buy another one, nope still too much draw, return it, etc, etc, etc

I gave up trying to be "cheap", so I now have a Wagan 5000w with 10,000w surge...there is no more worries, it powers EVERYTHING!

I paid around $420 for inverter, $120 in welding cable, and fittings...so plan on about $600 total

115v 2.5hp PorterCable pancake air compressor, and 16gal of air tanks..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a cheaper inverter for about 80 bucks at gander mountain (1200w I believe) and then I have a 12v air compressor hard wired to my battery with a 10gallon tank. I can use it to fill up tires and what not and I have it set so when the tank is about 3/4 empty then the compressor turns on automatically. I can use most power tools off my inverter pretty efficiently. I have about 230-240 in my whole set up. If your interested In what all brands I have just message me and I can go in further detail.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
I got a cheaper inverter for about 80 bucks at gander mountain (1200w I believe) . I can use most power tools off my inverter pretty efficiently.
that is a decent price for a small inverter....but...you must be using tiny power tools...

8amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1152 watts
10amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1440watts
12amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1728watts
15amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 2160watts

...so either all of your tools are under 8 amps under load..or you aren't running them with enough power(efficiently),.and you will end up burning out the tools and the inverter, if used consistently.

I run 10 amp(sawmill) and 15 amp tools(circular saw), that is why I have the size inverter I have...I don't want to burn my stuff up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
that is a decent price for a small inverter....but...you must be using tiny power tools...

8amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1152 watts
10amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1440watts
12amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1728watts
15amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 2160watts

...so either all of your tools are under 8 amps under load..or you aren't running them with enough power(efficiently),.and you will end up burning out the tools and the inverter, if used consistently.

I run 10 amp(sawmill) and 15 amp tools(circular saw), that is why I have the size inverter I have...I don't want to burn my stuff up.
it gets the job done for most of my stuff (i dont have any rather large tools but I'm happy with it) i use it for drills and just other rather small stuff.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
it gets the job done for most of my stuff (i dont have any rather large tools but I'm happy with it) i use it for drills and just other rather small stuff.
then it's probably perfect for you...most electric drills are only 4amps

4amps x 120v x 20%= 576...you're good

·
Diesel Junkie In-Training
30 Posts
Check out the Go Power Pure Wave inverters. They work perfect. I have a 2000 watt that runs all of my work equipment, microwave, printer, laptop and a couple random devices effortlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts