Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Everybody poops <~ see?
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000W(4000W peak) inverter with 4 30A internal fuses for my truck. Meow this is obviously not a unit I plug into my cig lighter, and I want to wire it in with one more 30A fuse somewhere in line.
My question is should I utilize upfitter switch 1 or 2, or should I fuse it in-line to the battery(like a stereo amp)? I figure the upfitter switch is better if the engine is running, and in-line works with the engine off. Camping and ice fishing use mostly.

Thanks for lookin'.

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
You better check the specs for required wire size and fuses. A 2000 watt inverter is going to draw over 100 amps and need at least a 4 gauge wire to it. Maybe more.

·
Everybody poops <~ see?
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if the unit has a power on/off for each 110 outlet, and internal surge protection? I only ask because my Mac distributer, it's a Mac Tools unit, mentioned adding an additional 30A between it and the unit was a precautionary measure.
Meow I know, he's the tool guy, and I'm the mechanic, enlighten me, please.

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
I would say READ the directions but here is a spec for a 1500w cont. 3000w peak inverter:

Table 3-1 Recommended DC Input Wire Size & Length
Cable length:
Battery to inverter
(one way) Minimum Cable Size
Maximum Battery
Fuse Size
Less than 5 feet (1.5 m) No. 2 AWG 200 ADC
Note: Never use a cable longer than 5 feet (1.5 m) with the Duracell® 1500.
Appropriately sized cable can be bought at a welding supply house or a marine
supply store.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
I run a Wagan 10,000 watt peak inverter,...and like Sinner said,...you need a way bigger fuse,..and big power cable..

I run a 200amp fuse, and (4) 2/0 welding cables.

·
Everybody poops <~ see?
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crowz, SINNER, Tank, thank you all for the helpful info.

Mine didn't come with instructions, as it was previously opened, but never used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts