Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold a little piece of property. so I've got some PMS money coming

remember I'm heavy, truck is 11K by itself, trailer is 15,500. Oh did I mention Mama wants a new house so now the trailer will be 17k. 28K total weight.

current setup is 02 F550 4x4 6spd w 2spd, 4.88 gears. AFE tymar filter, 5"cannon, Adrenaline HPOP, hutch/harpoon mods, PHP live tunes, turbomaster, BD exhaust brake

It pulls great and with the 2spd I can keep the RPMs 19-2600 all day long. Bills got the tunes so dialed in I can't get the EGT's over 900 even pulling a long hill.
I'd like a little more hill climbing power. thought I'd go 38R, coated exhaust, uppipes, injectors, intercooler, reg return.

Talking to one of the injector builders today and they hinted that I might be wasting my money because with the weight I roll, I can't used Big power all the time. They seemed to suggest just a small set of singles and be done with it.
is the turbo and stuff a waste without really big injectors?
Should I just save the money and buy Wild Turkey instead?
Opinions wanted

Barney

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
With stock injectors, a turbo, R&R, and intercooler won't give you any real power you're going to feel. Instead it's just going to help manage EGT's better with the power you already have.

A few years back I did the R&R, turbo, and intercooler, and track times at Bandimere were identical as they were before those mods. The only difference was the EGT's were much much lower.

So if you're looking for real power you're going to feel when towing, then injectors will get you there quicker.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Im going to guess with you only showing 900 your pulling your pyro temps post turbo?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pocket, thanks. I plan on doing injectors. just wondering if the rest was a waste of money?
Am I correct in thinking I'[m limited to Stage 1's

Crowz, pyro is right in the drivers side exhaust manifold

Barney

·
Caution! May Blow Smoke
270 Posts
Pocket, thanks. I plan on doing injectors. just wondering if the rest was a waste of money?

Barney
Barney I would give Dave a call at swamps if you want some more power and see if a set of the small hybrids 200cc 30% and a 38r with your set up will work. It will need good tunes to keep the EGT's down for what and where you pull. I have that set up and pull 24-25000 lbs with out getting too hot but I am not pulling that load all the time.

·
<---Beer version of PMR's
59 Posts
Ya, either a set of AC's, Swamps 175/173's, or 200/30% would be great towing inj. The adrenalin should be enuff oil for any of them. Then either a 38r, h2e, or qssb. Then I'd look at trans mods, brake mods, ect. Killer tow setup!

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
When I added Swamps 175/146 SS injetors they added about 50 hp and no increase in EGT's. These and the Van turbo work very well for me and I love towing with this setup. With that weight I would consider some cryo treated rotors and pads like the Powerslot Cryo'ed rotors & Hawk LTS pads. For a while all my mods were focused on lowering EGT's while towing - the van turbo, DI intercooler and the 4" exhaust did the trick for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
38r is my only option, because of the way the exhaust brake mounts
don't really need brake mods 15" rotors front and rear
Dana 135 rear axle
already have 12 speeds, how many more mods does the tranny need?

Barney

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
AC injectors and a 38r... You will be set.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If your just looking for a tad more towing power you should sell your php chip to me and buy a set of stage ones from swamps and have them tune for them as well. You've already got the oil.

A good stage I will give you ~50 hp which is plenty for a lil extra towing

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Alliant AC injectors and a QSSB turbo, perfect for a towing application. No surge problems, no egt problems, good spool-up, and good pulling torque/power.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts

Barney
Thats pretty low on the temps then. I can hit 1200 easy pulling my backhoe up some large hills if I let the cruise stay set. Its about 18,000 pounds trailer and all.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I would go with a set of smaller single shots or even hybrids, something between 160-180cc's. With either a van turbo, or a 38r since your limited to the two of them.

Since your already running as cool as you are around 900*, I'd say to save your money on most of the other upgrades like a RR, or Intercooler. Throw a turbo and injectors at it and you'll see a big difference from a simple swap.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Alliant AC injectors and a QSSB turbo, perfect for a towing application. No surge problems, no egt problems, good spool-up, and good pulling torque/power.
Dumb question, which injectors on the WOP site are the ACs and who builds them? I see Aliant but are they new or reconditioned etc.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ya, either a set of AC's, Swamps 175/173's, or 200/30% would be great towing inj. The adrenalin should be enuff oil for any of them. Then either a 38r, h2e, or qssb. Then I'd look at trans mods, brake mods, ect. Killer tow setup!
:whs: I am partial to the baby hybrids from Swamps and either Swamps tuning or get PHP to tune it. Whatever you decide will you come back and do a follow up post?

I have the same truck with the same goals and will need new injectors in a year or so.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
It pulls great and with the 2spd I can keep the RPMs 19-2600 all day long. Bills got the tunes so dialed in I can't get the EGT's over 900 even pulling a long hill.
What Crowz is trying to tell you is, if your EGT is only 900° you have a lot of power still available even from stock injectors. Adding a 38r and enough fuel to get to 1200° should make a huge difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:whs: I am partial to the baby hybrids from Swamps and either Swamps tuning or get PHP to tune it. Whatever you decide will you come back and do a follow up post?

I have the same truck with the same goals and will need new injectors in a year or so.
I'll definitley let everyone know what I end up with and how it works. It will be 45-60 days before the cash is in hand and then I can spend the money!

Barney

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Dumb question, which injectors on the WOP site are the ACs and who builds them? I see Aliant but are they new or reconditioned etc.
That website hasn't been updated for quite some time. We're right in the middle of building an all new website with all our latest products and offerings. Should be up in the next week or two.

But we sell brand new Alliant AC's, we get them direct from Alliant, so they are untouched new injectors with the stock nozzle on them, come with a good warranty as well. Perfect for a towing application. If you're looking for a little more we can have nozzles of just about whatever size/power output your looking for installed on them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts